Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Velocity 2X coming in early September

by Angry Jedi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:10 pm

The original Velocity (and its subsequent Ultra incarnation) was a wonderful game, blending 16-bit style shooter action with some inventive puzzling to produce something that is still, today, altogether unique.

Velocity 2X takes the gameplay of the original and adds platforming elements. There are even boss fights where you start by battling them in space, then finish them off from inside on foot. Sounds dangerous. But kinda fun, you've got to admit.

I've played an early version of 2X and even back in its unfinished state, both the spaceborne shooting and the on-foot platforming were super-tight, responsive, speedy and enjoyable -- plus the aesthetic of the whole thing is simply gorgeous, and there's an absolutely killer soundtrack.

The game hits PS4 and Vita (Cross-Buy, Cross-Save) on September 3. I can highly recommend it to anyone looking for an enjoyably "pure" gaming experience -- something that developer FuturLab has proven itself to excel at over the last few years.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

Re: Velocity 2X coming in early September

by asatiir » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Yes, please!

Derrick Pereira from the G+ community (I should drag him here) and I use to just lock horns on scores in the previous game, where he trashed my score and got platinum in the game. We're both pretty damn excited for this sequel.
User

asatiir

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by asatiir » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:54 pm

It seems like the game is free for PS+, and I was willing to buy it day one, oh well.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:41 pm

I love these small success stories. This, Switch Galaxy Ultra and the redux'd Futuridium...it's a good time to be a Vita owner and find fun with these modern arcade riffs.
User

asatiir

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by asatiir » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:15 pm

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAH
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Been playing this as a "filler" game (at lunchtimes and when I don't want to get stuck into something meaty like an RPG) and it fits that purpose perfectly, much like its predecessor.

It is, again like its predecessor, a perfect example of a good handheld game -- something you can pick up for a few minutes and have a fun bit of wasted time, or something you can settle down with for a longer period and take a bit more seriously, pursuing Perfects and the like.

The new platform sections are beautifully fluid and enjoyable, and the top-down spaceflight sections are as fun as ever. The drip-feed of new mechanics is nicely paced, too -- I haven't got mega-far yet, but those who have assure me that the game keeps introducing new little tricks all the way through, keeping it constantly fresh.

FuturLab have done a great job with this. A sequel that is true to the original and considerably improved. Hats off to the team there, I say, and I'm happy to see them getting such recognition off the back of this.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:52 am

I kinda wish they'd make a solely-platformer Velocity now. I've always liked the games prior, never truly loved them, but the platforming feels markedly fresh. Super speedy fun.