Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

ek6891

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 pm

UK

Real Name

Emily King

Favorite Genres

RPG, JRPG, Shooters, Action Adventure

Now Playing

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

Re: Introductions & Reacquainting

by ek6891 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Think I'll go into a bit more depth this time round...

It's taken me a while to post on here as, just as this forum was finished and the free one demolished, my Grandmother (whom I'd been a carer for) passed away and so I'm a bit behind on things, generally, at the moment.

I'd heard the old podcasts by the Squadron, but never been a user of 1UP before its demise.

Anyway, I'm a marketer by day, fiction writer, comics letterer, newbie Games Master/DM, geek blogger and gamer by night. I run the weekly Nerds Assemble podcast, we've almost reached episode 100, and the geek interests/culture site The Hex Dimension. I also knit a lot.

For the past, almost, three years I have been suffering from some form of Stockholm Syndrome in relation to Skyrim, whereby, despite how peeved off I get at its bugs and dumbed down world in relation to the previous games, I keep going back to it.

But I do play other video games. I love games like Pokémon and the Final Fantasy series pre-XIII. In general I avoid platformers and puzzle games, so will play pretty much anything else. My favourite games of all time include Resident Evil 4, Civilization II, Deadly Premonition and Mass Effect. I tend to play videogames for their story over anything else, though there are exceptions.

If you want to follow me on Twitter, you can find me via @ek6891 and I'm milliways86 on XBL, PSN, Wii U and Steam.
User

Shingro

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:31 am

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, Strategy, sims, VNs, Eroge.

Now Playing

Demon Gaze

by Shingro » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Hey everybody! Still not dead, just sorta drifting.

I'm Shingro, I tend towards Jrpgs, strategy games (mostly 4x, though there's some notable exceptions), Visual novels, roguelikes, eroge, and other crazy fun parts of Japanese culture. I've put thousands of hours into monster hunters and another four hundred into dungeons of dredmor. My time is mostly spend on gaming, though life seems to be creeping in more and more.

Letsee..... in favorite games Ar Tonelico: (Everything) tops the list and I'll always show up for anything GUST makes in general. Star Ocean 2 is also up there, Bayonetta was top as action games go... I still crack open the SNES to play some forgotten piece of childhood. EVO, Gemfire or Inidio: way of the Ninja.

I stream occasionally at twitch.tv/shingro. Only PC stuff (masquerade in the pipe right now, Azure dreams too.

I've got 3 years under my belt (with occasional breaks) in League of Legends.

I'm the sort of guy who will play something like Mugen Souls without blinking or show Monster monpiece to a new acquaintance. I tend to think sexuality in a healthy part of video games as an artistic medium, and that exploring the boundaries of what is acceptable in a safe space is tremendously helpful to us as human beings. I sort of recognize I'm in a small, strange camp, but it's my comfortable camp. I used to love discussing that sort of thing, and probably still do, but the conversation around sex in games feels like it's become more ideological then inquisitive these days so perhaps that's unfair to say. Used to be upset, now not so much.

Overall I'm a cheerful mega-otaku who has balanced his life a bit more then you'd expect? I'm one of the two people who are likely to be able to tell you about the gameplay of Criminal Girls or tell you about the novels of Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere. It's not the stuff I'm currently playing, but I've lived in that area and know it's streets and alleys quite well. Much like any person who casually survives in an area, I don't think it's threatening or strange even if newcomers tend towards visceral reaction. There's a jungle metaphor here but I can't chase it down.

Good luck everyone and happy gaming =)
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Shingro wrote:I'm the sort of guy who will play something like Mugen Souls without blinking or show Monster monpiece to a new acquaintance. I tend to think sexuality in a healthy part of video games as an artistic medium, and that exploring the boundaries of what is acceptable in a safe space is tremendously helpful to us as human beings. I sort of recognize I'm in a small, strange camp, but it's my comfortable camp. I used to love discussing that sort of thing, and probably still do, but the conversation around sex in games feels like it's become more ideological then inquisitive these days so perhaps that's unfair to say. Used to be upset, now not so much.

I very much fall into this camp too. Big fan of super-colourful moe games, visual novels and eroge, and am constantly frustrated by people who just won't look past the most superficial level. I will happily talk your ear off about Senran Kagura's genuinely excellent characterisation.

Shingro wrote:Overall I'm a cheerful mega-otaku who has balanced his life a bit more then you'd expect? I'm one of the two people who are likely to be able to tell you about the gameplay of Criminal Girls or tell you about the novels of Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere. It's not the stuff I'm currently playing, but I've lived in that area and know it's streets and alleys quite well. Much like any person who casually survives in an area, I don't think it's threatening or strange even if newcomers tend towards visceral reaction. There's a jungle metaphor here but I can't chase it down.

I think I'm the other one. :)
User

BiscuitSpace

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Rapid City, South Dakota

Favorite Genres

platformers, RPGs, retro and party games

by BiscuitSpace » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:15 pm

*Taps the mike*

Is this thing on?

Hello. My name is Matt Mason.

I've been something of an admirer of the Squad since the podcast days, but never really an active participant. Like most of you, I'm a castaway of 1up, which in all honesty was the last social network I really gave a shit about. It was the only place I was ever comfortable with talking about my habitual gaming; a place where you'd often get into good conversation on just about any game you could think of. I like Twitter and Facebook just fine, but more often than not it just feels like you shouting through a megaphone into a miasma of nothingness.

Let me be real for a moment: this is the first forum I've ever joined. No, seriously. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually, but until then bear with me and my potentially naive questions.

As for who I am on a personal level, I'm something of a family man with a penchant for the outdoors, literature, good beer and obviously video games. I have three kids (one who passed away), a wife and an obnoxious cat who has trouble keeping his bodily fluids in check. I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota in a little berg called Rapid City. I'm a stone's throw away from Mount Rushmore and Deadwood, both pop cultural milestones. I'm a nationally certified pharmacy technician that works in a chain grocery store. I also enjoy writing about life at http://mhmason.wordpress.com and of course gaming at http://obtainpotion.wordpress.com

My tastes are somewhat rooted in the past. While I'm open to playing just about anything once, I tend to gravitate towards platformers, role-playing games, replaying classics and the vile dredges known as party games. I'm probably something of an outlier here, as I'm an unassuming Nintendo fanboy. As in, I only currently own a Wii U and 3DS. There's a PlayStation 4 in my future, but only after the price drops and I nickel and dime my way there between feeding mouths and paying these things called bills.

You can follow me on Twitter @mhmason, game with me on Wii U/3DS @biscuitspace or even e-mail me at biscuitspace@gmail.com. I love me some archaic forms of communication, what can I say?

Anyways, thanks for having me, I can't wait to dive in!
Decide what to be and go be it - The Avett Brothers
no avatar
User

iscariot83

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Favorite Genres

FPS, simulation, indie platformer-type things

Now Playing

Making a game called Super Rad Raygun -but occasional breaks for Gunpoint :)

by iscariot83 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Holy damn, the squad is still alive and kicking!?

I'm iscariot83 - aka Chris in the real world. I'm from the old 1up boards as well, back in my college days.

I've managed to transform myself into an indie game developer living in Brooklyn over the past few years - with a little freelancing on the side still, because indie game development doesn't come with regular paydays. It's a massive time sink, so I haven't been able to do a ton of other gaming (or much of anything) lately - my pile of shame is the biggest it's ever been at this point, but generally I like adventurey, story driven games, and I'm a sucker for a good FPS. Lately, I've managed to squeeze in some Hotline Miami and Rogue Legacy though. I also just loaded up Day of Defeat the other day, because I still love the feel of those guns for some reason :) Oh, and I've spent an embarrassing amount of time playing Soccer Physics on Kongregate.

We're launching our first game this fall, so hopefully I'll be able to spend some time on this board, and actually start playing games again :)
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:43 pm

iscariot83 wrote:Holy damn, the squad is still alive and kicking!?

I'm iscariot83 - aka Chris in the real world. I'm from the old 1up boards as well, back in my college days.

I've managed to transform myself into an indie game developer living in Brooklyn over the past few years - with a little freelancing on the side still, because indie game development doesn't come with regular paydays. It's a massive time sink, so I haven't been able to do a ton of other gaming (or much of anything) lately - my pile of shame is the biggest it's ever been at this point, but generally I like adventurey, story driven games, and I'm a sucker for a good FPS. Lately, I've managed to squeeze in some Hotline Miami and Rogue Legacy though. I also just loaded up Day of Defeat the other day, because I still love the feel of those guns for some reason :) Oh, and I've spent an embarrassing amount of time playing Soccer Physics on Kongregate.

We're launching our first game this fall, so hopefully I'll be able to spend some time on this board, and actually start playing games again :)

We sure are! Been catching a glimpse of what you've been up to here and there on Facebook and Twitter -- good to hear you're making a go of the indie development. Feel free to point us in the direction of your creations any time! :)
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:44 pm

BiscuitSpace wrote:*snip*
Let me be real for a moment: this is the first forum I've ever joined. No, seriously. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually, but until then bear with me and my potentially naive questions.

You are very welcome! I had it in my mind that you'd been more actively involved with us in the past, but no matter; you'll fit right in, I'm sure! This new site is just getting off the ground as we speak, but the more the merrier, as they say, so hopefully you'll find this a nice community in which to wax lyrical about your favourite games without the other baggage that comes elsewhere on the Internet.
User

Tolkoto

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:16 am

Ohio

Favorite Genres

Platformers, RPG, action, adventure.

by Tolkoto » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:55 am

I'm Mike Minotti, originally (and still) Tolkoto on the 1UP Radio boards. The influence of this great group has put me on my career path as a gaming journalist. I first wrote for Bitmob, and then I moved over to GamesBeat with my boss Dan "Shoe" Hsu.

I've also been doing a weekly gaming podcast with my brother, Ajguy, since 2007 called the Exploding Barrel Podcast. I make fun of him a lot on it.

I have pretty broad gaming tastes, enjoying everything from JRPGs to shooters.
User

ciscoidiot

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Real Name

John

Favorite Genres

Action/Platform

Now Playing

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

by ciscoidiot » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Greetings everyone! I'm John aka ciscoidiot, unlike most of you I'm completely new blood to this Shame crew and I wasn't tuned into the 1up scene when it was alive. I follow Pete via twitter, where I was fortunate enough to meet him through Final Fantasy XIV. I've since kicked the habit of FFXIV and back to playing everything that isn't a MMO.

I'm 29 years young and live as a Network Engineer by day and everything else by night. I started collecting various retro games/consoles in 2012 where I amassed a ridiculous shame pile. I don't really have a favorite genre but I gravitate towards 1st/3rd person action titles, platformers, and puzzle games. I also support RPG's and pretend I like them or will like them one day. In the mean time that's another shame pile I'm building for someone who might enjoy them in the future.When I'm not playing video games I spend my free time painting miniatures for table top games.

You can find me on twitter @ciscoidiot, where I spend most of my time online. Cheers!
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Welcome, Cisco!
PreviousNext