Here we investigate the overlooked, the underappreciated, the Shameworthy titles of the world. Jump in to an existing mission thread and give your thoughts, or start your own to kick off a discussion.

That Dragon Cancer

User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

That Dragon Cancer

by Beige » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm just going to leave this here.

I hope that at least one of us highbrow sorts has something to say about a game which centers around a child's cancer and a father's grief. I believe I kickstarted this, so presumably there is a copy waiting for me at home right now.

All early reports seem to indicate (surprise) that it is a pretty harrowing experience. Going to go into it with as much beginner's mind as possible - we'll see how it goes.

One of my friends is actually having a baby today, so the dad game vibe will be strong in our house. Considering that I just played through the Johnny's Gastrointestinal Adventure scene in Metal Gear Solid 4 last night, I'd say we're going to be looking at a slight tonal shift.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

Re: That Dragon Cancer

by Calin Kim » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:32 pm

There's basically no way that I'm playing this game after actually visiting my son every day in the hospital, holding his hand and hoping that today won't be the day his heart stops beating.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Calin Kim wrote:There's basically no way that I'm playing this game after actually visiting my son every day in the hospital, holding his hand and hoping that today won't be the day his heart stops beating.

What is it with life doing this to good people? Fuck. Ill be thinking of you brother.

On the game, I am curious how it does with the subject. Hard thing to get right.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:06 pm

It's all good with my kid by the way. I feel like I should have noted that in my original post. My child is fine and will continue to be fine. He did not have cancer or anything like that. I just had a scary 7 weeks with him in the hospital.

I listened to the Reply-All episode about this: https://gimletmedia.com/episode/50-the-cathedral/

And read the Wired article: http://www.wired.com/2016/01/that-dragon-cancer/

And after breaking down into tears after an article in Wired of all places, I think I'm good...