A new introduction for a new board.
I'm Rampant Bicycle, and had I any graphical-design chops I would have made myself a little medieval-flavored heraldic square-sig eons ago.
As Beige said just above me, we're a couple and we live in Toronto, where my Texas-born constitution alternately loathes the ice and snow in the winter and the high humidity in the summer. On the other hand, Toronto has a Spring at all to speak of, so it all evens out. (Seriously, most of the time I love my adopted city; it's a gloriously multicultural place where there always seems to be something or other going on.)
If I were to have to choose one entertainment activity for the rest of my life...I'll be honest, it would probably be tabletop RPGs; there is really truly nothing like that combo of imaginative play and hanging out with people you like.
HOWEVER...I also love video games, and have been playing since young me was introduced to a copy of Zork: The Great Underground Empire as a kid. My book-nerdy brain found adventure games to be that just-right fit, and I've been a big fan of story-heavy games ever since. This includes things like adventures and RPGs regardless of their Eastern/Western origins.
My first console game was Ico.
I share my significant other's fondness for quirky games (though not his masochism...), and will put up with a lot of foolishness in the interest of an interesting experience. Then again, I love bad films (and watching/heckling them with others) as well, so I'm fully aware that some of the things that make me squee with delight just aren't going to do it for some people.
An incomplete selection of games I have loved, in no particular order:
- A Mind Forever Voyaging (Dear Game-Hollywood: PLEASE remake this as something graphical and awesome?)
- Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers (Ok, I like Gabriel Knight generally, but I have to name one, right?)
- Grim Fandango
- Deus Ex
- Thief Gold
- Planescape: Torment
- Chrono Trigger
- Suikoden II (and III)
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
- Silent Hill 2
- Fatal Frame
- Persona 4
Random other factoids that may potentially amuse:
- I am dog/cat agnostic but love pets as a general rule.
- I was once that kid who checked out 25 books from the library every time she went, because that was the maximum allowed on my library card. I had a dedicated library bag for this purpose. I can't fit QUITE that much reading into an adult schedule, but still try to pack in as much as I can.
- I have some formal training as both an actor and a singer, though I'm rusty in both departments.
- I'm a fan of animated things and love the hand-drawn look in video games. I also love anime and tend to prefer the narrative, layer-heavy - or the quirkily charming - works there as well. (I have nothing against One Piece or what have you, but tend to avoid the series that seem prepared to run on just about endlessly. I'd rather be watching Revolutionary Girl Utena or Silver Spoon or something instead.)
- I am kind of a folklore geek. My shelves groan with the collected tales of many lands, and I once told a friend of mine "I don't know anything about motorcycles. I can tell you about the Eight Chinese Immortals if you want...but I don't know anything about motorcycles."
I tend mainly to lurk on these boards, but do read regularly and will try to be a bit more vocal from time to time!