The official home for discussion surrounding the Minotti brothers' long-running gaming podcast.

Show #360 – $Team Mod$

User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Show #360 – $Team Mod$

by Alex Connolly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:48 pm

Mike and AJ discuss Steam’s new mod marketplace, wonder what could have been in the originally proposed Jedi system for Star Wars Galaxies, and take a quick look at what coming to Destiny.

Download / iTunes
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Re: Show #360 – $Team Mod$

by Alex Connolly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:49 pm

The Steam Mod purchase concept. I dig it on one level, am dubious about it on another.

The 75% Valve cut seems ridiculously high. Sure, they could attribute it to hosting and being the delivery vehicle, but it still seems too much of a gouge.

I don't have any experience with Skyrim, but for massive mod/overhaul packs like the ones associated with STALKER -- Complete Mods, Misery Mods etc. -- the work that goes into them by groups of people is phenomenal.

What I would prefer, however, is a 'donate' option, rather than purchase. Pay What You Want has been successful elsewhere, and is even encouraged on places like ModDB. Mod teams even run on Patreon accounts.

There's the joy of creation, but also the realities of creation. Were these physical projects and products, people wouldn't question the associated costs in time and labour. But in the digital sphere, cost evaluation always seems a little murkier.
no avatar
User

Elanzer

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 pm

United Kingdom

Favorite Genres

Grand strategy, Tactics, Role-playing, Shooters

by Elanzer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:54 am

Valve have been trying to muscle in on modding for the better part of a decade now, but I never expected that this was their endgame.

I used to be quite involved with the modding community and ran a site for it back in the early Source days, CS: Source especially, the shitstorm when for no apparent reason Valve started to force servers to reject even the most innocuous client-side skins absolutely exterminated the thriving skinning and modelling scene. Some well-known names were able to move on to actual studios which was great, but many simply gave it up as there was no demand any more. When TF2 and later CS:GO were released it became clear what they had seen with the popularity of sites like mine and were slowly transitioning people in to with that change - to eliminate "unauthorised" free content and give them free rein to reduce their games to tools for promoting simplistic community-outsourced reskins they get a hefty cut of.

Now, we're seeing the groundwork being laid for this strategy to be applied to practically every single game that supports Steam Workshop. We know that's practically every single game that fully utilises the Steamworks API, right? That's most of them, nowadays.

So I have just one question, and that is how long until the switch is flicked for all these games that renders mods from outside Steam Workshop unauthorised and relegated only for use offline, outside of official content, or in unranked or unofficial servers, just like what happened years ago with Valve's games? We know Valve controls the platform and is capable of enforcing it, we know the publishers and developers aren't getting their cut of anything that doesn't pass through Workshop now, so how long until modding freedom dies exactly?
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:12 pm

It's all up to the publishers now, as far as I can tell. Some publishers, yeah...I can see things going south regarding mods. Others? Not so much.

Moreover, since we see more and more self-publishing on Steam, I figure goodwill goes a long way and we won't see that kind of worse-case scenario where modding freedom gets the chop in favour of coin.

Let it be known that I'm terrible at cards.