The official home for discussion surrounding the Minotti brothers' long-running gaming podcast.

Show #339 - Smash Away

User

Ajguy

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:20 am

Cranberry Township, PA

Favorite Genres

Action, Adventure, Role Playing, Puzzle, Strategy

Now Playing

Titanfall, Wolfenstein: New World Order, Shovel Knight

Show #339 - Smash Away

by Ajguy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:13 am

http://ebpodcast.com/2014/09/27/show-339-smash-away/

We did the show late so we could talk about Smash Bros. for 3DS after Nintendo's embargo. Mike loves it. Anyone else excited for Smash?

As you might expect, I'm rather liking Disney Infinity 2.0. Anyone else here enjoy the first one or the new one?

I know we have some MMO players here. Does Archeage appeal to anyone?
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: Show #339 - Smash Away

by Angry Jedi » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:52 am

I'm never quite sure how I feel about Smash. The last few installments have all been things I liked more in concept than execution, and I expect the new one will be the same. I'll almost certainly still get it for multiplayer shenanigans, but I doubt I'll obsess over it.

Never touched either Infinity or Skylanders and don't really intend to. I am interested to hear what the appeal is, though. Is it actually any good as a game?

Heard vaguely positive rumblings about Archeage a while back, but not for a while. It's supposed to be interesting, but I'm all-in on FFXIV at this point, so I'm unlikely to try it. It's hard enough squeezing other games around an MMO... playing another would kill me.

Incidentally, come back and play FFXIV sometime, the pair of you! I really want to do the "final" dungeon with you both!
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Show #339 - Smash Away

by Alex Connolly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:13 am

The closest I ever got to a Smash Brothers game was Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble on PSP, which probably isn't the best sampler. I mucked around with the original on 64, but it never struck me as a hugely exciting experience. Two questions...

- What's the main attraction?
- If it wasn't a cavalcade of Nintendo characters, would the game be as appealing? (Same scenario seemingly powering the Hyrule Warriors debate)

Addendum: Handheld fighters are pretty ace.