The official home for discussion surrounding the Minotti brothers' long-running gaming podcast.

Show #335 - Pathetic

User

Tolkoto

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:16 am

Ohio

Favorite Genres

Platformers, RPG, action, adventure.

Show #335 - Pathetic

by Tolkoto » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:50 am

http://ebpodcast.com/2014/08/27/show-335-pathetic/

Here's what we talked about this week. You should talk about them too!

Are casual gamers "pathetic?" Is Shiggy being genuine or just playing a PR angle?
Mario Kart is becoming a Nintendo All-Stars ordeal.
Should Dragon Age: Inquisition bother with a multiplayer mode?
Would you rather Amazon buy Twitch than Google?
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

Re: Show #335 - Pathetic

by asatiir » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:42 pm

- "Passive audience" and "Pathetic" sounds too condescending to hear from Miyamoto, either it's a mistranslation or he might be fed up to the point to say this to address to investors that keep pressuring nintendo to release their games on mobile/tablet platforms.
- Don't have a WiiU, can't comment.
- If it helps the game, then maybe, but if it's shoehorned then pass.
- I'm not sure of Amazon's track record in these cases, especially with how region locking amazon is in general outside of the US.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: Show #335 - Pathetic

by Angry Jedi » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:25 pm

- Casual gamers -- and by this I mean mobile and social gamers -- are kinda pathetic. I genuinely feel sorry for those who can't see when they're being scammed by shit like Candy Crush Bullshit and Crap of Clans. But there's no convincing them, I've discovered, they're all "oh, I don't mind, I can just play a bit here and there..." PLAY SOMETHING GOOD HERE AND THERE INSTEAD. I think Miyamoto is wise to leave this particular part of the market behind; Nintendo games have always been "pure" games through and through -- accessible and family-friendly, yes, but still games rather than monetisation machines. Keep doing what you do, sir.

- Good. Should have done this a long time ago.

- NO! A thousand times no. It doesn't need it, and the attempt to shoehorn it in says two things to me: 1) EA wants something in the game they can continually monetise (because you know they're going to sell SOMETHING through microtransactions) and 2) they don't have as much faith in the pure single-player experience as they should. I don't know if either of those things are true, but that's the statement the inclusion of multiplayer in Dragon Age makes to me.

- Don't care. I have nothing to add to that, unfortunately, since I don't use Twitch. :)