Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.

Writer's Block Anonymous

User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

Writer's Block Anonymous

by asatiir » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Hey squad, I'm this something most of us here face from time to time and I would appreciate some feedback.

There was a time where I would sit and write a lot and wouldn't find any trouble writing anything. I probably would cringe if I go back and read anything I've written, even if it was a year ago, but at the time it would have been something I'd feel accomplished and proud of. These days, even in this forum I'm finding trouble writing as much as I use to, not out of lack of interest but in a lack of confidence in what I write.

I would sometimes write an entire post here then scrap it entirely because I'm not happy with I just wrote. I find this especially worrying because I'm using my writing skills for game development, just that at the moment I am focusing on other aspects of it (graphic work, some very basic coding, etc). So my question is, as the squad has been a group of very capable writers, how do you deal with writer's block?

I had a blog before that I had a hard time updating, should I revive it?
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: Writer's Block Anonymous

by Angry Jedi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:34 pm

Absolutely! The only way to overcome writer's block is -- as trite as it sounds -- to write. I write every single day on my personal blog. Some days I also write on MoeGamer or this site; others I might tinker with a creative writing project that's been on the back burner for a long time.

The main thing is to just make sure you do something as often as possible. Beginning the "oneaday" blog project back in 2010 has given me the discipline to keep training my writing skills every day. Not everything I write is interesting, noteworthy or even good, but it's something. I recommend trying something similar -- not necessarily daily, but certainly setting some time aside on a regular, predictable basis to just write. It doesn't need to be good; no-one needs to read it -- you just need to do it.

One interesting technique I was taught at university is the practice of "freewriting". Here, you set a timer for ten minutes, start it ticking and just write. Anything. Without stopping. Don't pause to think, don't go back to edit, just write, write, write continuously for ten minutes. Sometimes you'll come out with a stream of consciousness blurb that is barely readable. Other times you'll pluck strange and creative things from your subconscious. Other times still you might find yourself exploring thoughts that you've had trouble expressing. It's always a valuable exercise.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

Re: Writer's Block Anonymous

by asatiir » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Hat's off to you for your oneaday, I tried posting for it myself and couldn't stick to it beyond two posts with no consistency, that level of willpower is admirable. I'll try your suggestions, thanks!