Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.

Squadron of Fit

User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Squadron of Fit

by Angry Jedi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:29 am

Squaddies,

I want to try and get fit. Fitter, anyway. But I need motivation. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. So let's use this thread as a centralised place to chronicle our fitness adventures and offer advice and support to one another as and when we need it.

I'll start.

Yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in ages and kicked off a new Couch to 5K programme. I've done this before successfully -- even managing to take it further and (sort of) pull off a 10K eventually -- but I've let things slide for too long, so I'm starting again from scratch.

I'm using the treadmill for it this time, since it's very hot and sunny outside at the moment, which is not ideal nor pleasant conditions for running. First session went surprisingly well, so I'm going to try and go back tomorrow after a rest today -- my legs are feeling very stiff!

For those who aren't overly familiar with Couch to 5K, here's Emi to explain it and the subsequent Bridge to 10K programme. (Until we sort out some means of clicking to zoom on images, right click and Open Image in New Tab to view full-size.)

DoItForHer.png

Do it for her!
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Re: Squadron of Fit

by Beige » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm in for this. Back at the dojo they drummed into us the truth about how social obligation engineers participation whether you like it or not. Said differently: The whole purpose of group training is to bind people together. When there are people depending on you to show up, and you have responsibilities to the group, you're less likely to shirk.

I'm in Pete's position at the moment, casting about for something I can stick with for the long term. Sadly, I get bored of the gym and other repetitive practices very quickly -- 2 years seems to be my limit for these kind of things. Martial arts got its hooks into me for several years thanks to the fact that I was continually learning and was continually challenged both in physical and intellectual arenas through the practice.

I'm open (grudgingly) to throwing up my details online and seeing whether social obligation can be the hook I need to get over the hump. If anybody can be a decent support network, it's the SoS. Ultimately my goal would be to lose around 25 pounds, more or less. Hopefully less. Open to any online tools anybody knows.... already got my heartrate monitor back in action after a successful battery change earlier in the week.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm not planning on going mega-hardcore with the tracking to begin with -- I just want to get into some good habits for now -- but I will at least provide updates on this thread about what I'm doing in an attempt to solicit cheers and so on. If we do want to do something a bit more "organised" we already have a group over on Fitocracy, or there's possibly even something clever we could do with this forum. Who knows.

Anyway. The sky is the limit, and anyone else who would like to either get in shape or simply not be out of breath after climbing up a flight of stairs (hello!) please feel free to jump in, with no obligation to share weight/size/measurements etc (I'm not going to for now, since I'm thoroughly ashamed of my disgusting fat body) unless you really want to. This thread is intended primarily for motivation and story-sharing.

Good luck!
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:19 pm

I'm this close to signing up for a gym, I haven't gone since college. I hate feeling weak, physically, but social anxiety is holding me back. I used to go with a couple buddies who set a routine for me, but I'd be going alone now. Also, I'm not liking what I'm reading about the big name franchise gyms that find every way they can to bleed you of money. Excuses...

A gym is really a place to build muscle though, if you're worried about losing weight first, I'd get your diet under control, it's a huge factor. I dropped a good 10-15 pounds modifying my diet while still being mostly sedentary with a hike or bit of kayaking here and there.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Went to the gym again today -- I was in town anyway for a job interview, and the gym was literally five minutes' walk from where the interview was, so I didn't really have an excuse.

Completed day 2 of Couch to 5K -- it's the same pattern as day 1. (One minute run, one and a half minutes walking, repeat) Don't think it felt "easier" as such -- in fact partway through I really felt like I was struggling, particularly as it was quite hot today and I was sweating like a [insert your favourite offensive simile here].

One more day of this particular layout and then it's on to something a bit more advanced. Let's see how far I get this time around.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:58 pm

I've been doing DDP Yoga after hearing about it from the Too Old For This folk, hard as I try, I can never motivate myself to stick to gyms so working out at home works great for me, especially this yoga program. Lately though I haven't been working out much because of Ramadan, I would have worked out when fasting but doctors suggested I don't do so and evening is pretty short in this time of year. So I plan to go in full once Ramadan is over (which is just a little over a week away).
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:57 pm

I have the DDP Yoga DVDs, but haven't got around to trying them seriously as yet. I'm skeptical about how good they are -- to an outsider it sounds suspiciously like bollocks -- but I know the TOFT boys swear by them, so I might give them a shot. I was mostly keen to get to the gym so I'm not wasting the membership fee I'm paying each month!
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:12 pm

Angry Jedi wrote:I have the DDP Yoga DVDs, but haven't got around to trying them seriously as yet. I'm skeptical about how good they are -- to an outsider it sounds suspiciously like bollocks -- but I know the TOFT boys swear by them, so I might give them a shot. I was mostly keen to get to the gym so I'm not wasting the membership fee I'm paying each month!

A friend who tried it too described it best yoga with a bit of tai chi, stiffening you muscles as you're moving does make you burn. If anything it helped my bad back and made my joints feel better all day long