Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

by Alex Connolly » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:50 pm

The Strain. What a mad collection of cliches. Everything you'd expect from the lower end of FX dramas. Del Toro came up short, based on this first episode. Going to give it a couple more episodes, but at the moment, giving it 2/5.

Strained patience.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:53 am

Watched the opening episode of Utopia season 2 this morn and WOW. After the crap offered up in The Strain, the sheer quality exuding from every sharp, dark pore of Dennis Kelly's creation is magnified. The original season was undeniably one of the finest shows I've ever laid eyes on, with every ounce of its production pretty much perfect. Casting, sound design, cinematography, script...

...and I was worried about why we needed a season 2. But here it is and it kicks off very strongly. I don't need the American remake under Fincher. I just need this UK effort to keep doing what it is doing, which is being a fresh, deep, dark, multi-layered and downright gorgeous drama.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:39 pm

I finished watching this a few weeks ago but I thought it'd be worth mentioning.

Sakigake!! Otokojuku (Charge!! Men's Private School):

Joked around the internet as the manliest anime ever made, this was made by the Hokuto No Ken team about a school of delinquents that go there to brush up their manliness, all the teachers look like Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors rejects. This is as dudebro an anime can get and I found it quite hilarious, it's a shame that the show near the end becomes a series of fights that take several of episodes to finish. If you plan to watch this, I suggest you skip both the movies (animated and live action) because they're a waste of time, otherwise the show is great despite the unfortunate last few episodes.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Finally finished watching Louie. Damn, what an ending. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it yet, but I will reiterate that the series is well worth watching -- particularly if you enjoy that sort of "uncomfortable" comedy that shows like The Office and Parks and Recreation are known for. Louie is tinged with rather more pathos and tragedy than those shows, making it a rather melancholic show overall despite its comedic premise. It's essential viewing for anyone who likes the comedy of Louis C.K., and more than stands up on its own merits even if you're less familiar with his "real life" work.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Was looking for an anime I could keep rolling while I worked on some artistic projects. Put on fairy tale to see what the hubbub is all about. Found it entertaining! Not too complicated or deep, but fun and something good in the background. Still gotta catch up on attack on Titan as well. I'm still interested to find another short concept driven series like paranoia agent. I mean nothing can be *like* paranoia agent, but in terms of digestible chin strokeness.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Suggestions from Beige and Rampant who are sitting right next to me as we speak:

- Welcome to the NHK (not that short, but I can vouch for this being awesome)
- AnoHana (bring tissues... for crying)
- Silver Spoon ("an unusually frank take on farming and food")
- Penguindrum (if you liked Utena and you want to max out your Weird stat)
User

ek6891

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 pm

UK

Real Name

Emily King

Favorite Genres

RPG, JRPG, Shooters, Action Adventure

Now Playing

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

by ek6891 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Calin Kim wrote:I started watching 24 in preparation for the Alpha Protocol squadcast and somehow got wrapped up in the aggressive stupidity that is Jack Bauer's world. (Not a good show. Doesn't even aim at greatness. Really, really addictive, however.) I dunno.

I ended up watching 24 on Netflix after discovering it was on there and wondering what happened after season 2, because Sky bought the rights in the UK after the BBC had it for the first two seasons. 24 is currently one of the series I watch when I can think of nothing else to put on, though I'm on the season before the one that was on the other month.

Just finished-up watching season 5 of The Mentalist, after getting it and 4 for my Birthday. Seen some interesting developments with Patrick Jane (protagonist) over these seasons and I'm annoyed that I have to wait until October before season 6 comes out on DVD in the UK.

There's a boxset of the first season of Arrow that keeps staring at me each time I finish an episode of Castle on Netflix... So I suppose I'll watch it once I finish Castle, which UK Netflix only has up until the end of season 2 at the moment, grrrr.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:32 pm

Well, season 2 of Utopia is now down for the count. Breathless stuff. So dark, but so zesty. And I'll be damned if it still isn't the most exciting show from a mere cinematography and sound design perspective.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:54 am

Just caught the opening episode of Cinemax's new original series, The Knick. Pretty damn impressed. Clive Owen - who is fantastic, but under-utilised by Hollywood - stars as a drug-addled surgeon on the forefront of medicine in 1900, working within the confines of a struggling New York hospital. Well-cast, well-scripted and gripping. HBO-level production values prop up an already tasteful package.

Should be a ripping season.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:38 pm

More Bizzare Foods on my side, I still think I can eat more than half the food on there. It's a pretty damn fun show to watch, gives me some ideas in cooking sometimes.
PreviousNext