Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

Whatcha Watchin'?

by Angry Jedi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:09 pm

I don't watch a whole lot of live TV any more, but our Netflix subscription gets a lot of use for watching TV shows at our leisure. Presently, I'm working through two series, and enjoying both a great deal.

I started watching Louie after finally checking out Louis C.K.'s standup shows on Netflix while I was doing boring tidying and unpacking shortly after we moved into the new house. (We planned ahead and had Internet installed ready for when we moved in.) For those unfamiliar, it's a show that chronicles the misadventures of a fictionalised version of Louis C.K. (here Louie C.K.) as he goes about his daily life. It's punctuated with short clips from live shows that presumably use his real-life material, and the episodes themselves often reflect on the things he's been talking about -- occasionally punctuated with some gloriously surreal and occasionally stomach-churning moments.

It's very clever, but it's also quite uncomfortable to watch. I showed an episode to Andie and she really couldn't stomach it, but couldn't really work out why -- it just made her feel uncomfortable.

The other thing I've been watching is The Venture Bros., which is apparently a parody of Jonny Quest, which I must confess I didn't watch a whole lot of in the past. It stands alone by itself, however, and strikes that good balance between slapstick, silly cartoon humour and somewhat more adult themes. There are some fantastic characters involved, and the whole thing goes in some seriously unexpected directions at times. To say too much would be to spoil the chaotic experience of watching it, so suffice it to say that you should check it out if you need a good giggle.

What's on your viewing plates at the moment, Squaddies?
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Whatcha Watchin'?

by Alex Connolly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:47 pm

As of now? Not much. Penny Dreadful finished up, really enjoyed that - but some of the weirdest pacing I've seen in a show of late. Thankfully getting renewed, so something to look forward to.

We've got Utopia season 2 coming next week, as well as Guillermo del Toro's The Strain.

Movies-wise, kicked off my personal World War I centenary film journey, pertaining to films about the conflict. Thus far, it's been Jeremy Sims' Beneath Hill 60 and Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory. Both fine films. Next up, a big double whammy in the original All Quiet On The Western Front and the utterly epic Lawrence of Arabia.

My list is roughly the following, if anyone wants to join in:

- Beneath Hill 60 (2010)
- Paths of Glory (1957)
- All Quiet On The Western Front (1930)
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
- Gallipoli (1981)
- A Very Long Engagement (2004)
- Hell's Angels (1930)
- Regeneration (1997)
- Joyeux Noel (2005)
- Sergeant York (1941)
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:02 pm

A little mix of a lot of things, I'm a few episodes within the following shows:

- Bizarre Foods America (2011?)
- Gunslinger Girl (2002)
- Jormungand (2012)
- Mushishi (2005)

Not watching any movies at the moment, but might continue on some after I'm done with Gunslinger Girl and Jormungand.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Running through a show called Psych. It's a goofy comedy about a supposed psychic detective who is really just a bored super sleuth having a laugh. Good light hearted fun. On netflix in Canada, so that is a bonus.

Also watching Vikings. Well done show, kind of like a game of thrones light. Historically focused, and quite interesting. Definitely inspires me to do some research.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:17 am

I started watching 24 in preparation for the Alpha Protocol squadcast and somehow got wrapped up in the aggressive stupidity that is Jack Bauer's world. (Not a good show. Doesn't even aim at greatness. Really, really addictive, however.) I dunno.

I'm waiting for a few more Sailor Moon episodes to release before I get started on that, because I know that once I start I won't be able to stop. Sailor Moon was my everything for a little while in my teens, so the new one coming out and following the manga more closely is a dream come true.
User

BusyZombieLord

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Maine

Real Name

Lou

Favorite Genres

RPG, Adventure, and Story Driven

Now Playing

Secret of Mana, Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition for PS3, Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon for PS2

by BusyZombieLord » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:28 pm

I jump all over the place in what I am watching. I drive my wife crazy because I like to jump around a change shows we are watching all the time. I cut the cable cord 6 or 7 years ago so we consume tv through Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. My wife like us to pick a show and stay with it until there are no more episodes left. I can't do that.... 3 or 4 episodes and I am ready to watch something new and go back to it later.

At the moment we just finished watching Royal Pains a comedy/drama/medical show. It is decent but not amazing. USA network does some pretty formulaic TV shows and this is that. I will say that I always expect shows like this to get worse the longer they run. Formulaic TV starts to run out of ideas quick. This shows over arching plot seems to get more interesting every season. I have found myself enjoying the later season more than the 1st few seasons.

Hemlock Grove Season 2 just hit Netflix Friday. I have only had a chance to watch the first episode of the new season. I quite enjoyed the first season. It was gritty, cleaver, and not predictable. By the end of season 1 the murder was one of 2 different choices. It wasn't a surprise, though the reason how and why were pretty interesting. I don't think this one got a fair shake because of the influx of silly supernatural schlock on TV at the moment. Hemlock grove is not silly and rather graphic in nature. It should also be given at least 2 episodes before you pass judgement.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

by Angry Jedi » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:20 pm

BusyZombieLord wrote:*snip*

Hemlock Grove Season 2 just hit Netflix Friday. I have only had a chance to watch the first episode of the new season. I quite enjoyed the first season. It was gritty, cleaver, and not predictable. By the end of season 1 the murder was one of 2 different choices. It wasn't a surprise, though the reason how and why were pretty interesting. I don't think this one got a fair shake because of the influx of silly supernatural schlock on TV at the moment. Hemlock grove is not silly and rather graphic in nature. It should also be given at least 2 episodes before you pass judgement.

Interesting! I saw this pop up on Netflix the other day and wondered what the deal was. Worth a watch, you reckon?
User

BusyZombieLord

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Maine

Real Name

Lou

Favorite Genres

RPG, Adventure, and Story Driven

Now Playing

Secret of Mana, Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition for PS3, Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon for PS2

by BusyZombieLord » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:48 pm

Angry Jedi wrote:
BusyZombieLord wrote:*snip*

Interesting! I saw this pop up on Netflix the other day and wondered what the deal was. Worth a watch, you reckon?

I would recommend it! Think Twin Peaks with werewolves and hints of other supernatural stuff. Everything is played fairly close to the chest and for every reveal they hold something back. In a good non-cheesy way. Critics kinda complained Famke Janssen's performance was aweful. I personally wouldn't call it bad but she attempts to do a non-distinct eastern european accent that is pretty flat. The two lead actors Bill Skarsgård and Landon Liboiron are fairly compelling. I wouldn't call them people anyone would identify with but they sell their roles really well.

Also the show is based on series of books. I have not read them but I know season one is pretty close to the first book and the author wrote several of the episodes. I think season two strays from the second book in big ways but that it was partially the authors idea..... or something like that..... Read that article a year or so ago.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:57 am

Expect impressions of The Strain post-haste.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:32 pm

I guess this could fall under watching, did any of you watch the EVO tournaments going on the last few days? The Killer Instinct finals were insane.
Next