Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

Good book about space for a 7-year-old?

by RedSwirl » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Nephew's birthday is coming up and his dad tells me he's pretty enamored with space and the solar system right now, so the obvious present has been a book on the subject. I don't want it to be the trite "here are the names of the planets" type of thing I got in elementary school though. I'd rather expose him to something that gives him a more tangible and interesting understanding of space.

And I would prefer the medium be in book form. The kid just prefers books. I've already suggested my brother watch Cosmos on Netflix (I'll try to convince him again). If my brother had a more recent laptop I'd suggest something like Universe Sandbox or Space Engine but I don't think those will run on what he's got. I'd suggest Frontier Elite II but no way he or my nephew are figuring out the controls for that. If there was something like Space Engine or Frontier with easier controls and could run on any laptop that would be great. Perhaps browser-based?

I already intend to send them that online to-scale solar system model "If The Moon Were Only One Pixel." Maybe some other informative images might help?
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Good book about space for a 7-year-old?

by Alex Connolly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:58 pm

I don't know how available it is on your end, Red, but Robin & Sally First's "My Place In Space" captured my attention at that age. It's visually engaging and highlights that scale you're chasing. Thumbs up.