Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.

Job-hunting sucks

User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Job-hunting sucks

by Angry Jedi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:53 am

Just a little venting, if you'll indulge me.

Ever since I was informed that, through no fault of my own, my time at USgamer was to come to an end, I've been looking for work -- sending out plenty of applications to all manner of places outside the games press. (I've chosen not to pursue further opportunities in the games press, because it's screwed me over too many times with nothing I could do about it.)

To date, I've had one interview, in which I apparently performed well enough to be invited back for a second interview -- which was subsequently cancelled after I'd been waiting in the place's reception for over an hour due to the interviewer's illness, which hasn't been rearranged, and for which I do not have direct contact details for anyone involved in the process, annoyingly -- and another set for next week, though this latter one is for a part-time retail position so is not ideal.

While waiting, I've continued to apply for other positions, and in many cases have heard nothing -- not even an acknowledgement of receipt. This is, as I'm sure you can appreciate, frustrating -- particularly as I now have no money of my own coming in. Fortunately, I came into a bit of money recently so can hang in there for a few months at least -- plus my partner Andie still has a job, so it's not as if we have no money coming in -- but, since I was laid off almost immediately after we closed on a house (and literally a couple of days before my birthday, to add insult to injury), I'm sure you will understand that I'm a little antsy about the whole situation!

Not really looking for any advice here, since I'm confident that I'm doing everything I can to resolve this situation; just needed to vent and perhaps shamelessly solicit some messages of support.

Gruuuuuu~.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Job-hunting sucks

by Alex Connolly » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Gunner, barrage of support canisters with a firing solution on 50.9000° N, 1.4000° W. We've a man in the field who needs back-up.

I'm going to blame Games Journalism in general, and this current spot of bother is the last you'll hopefully have to deal with, before the Krokodil leaves your system. However, vent-vent-vent. And keep writing, regardless.

BAP.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Not sure if this might help, but I know a few people working in London and they sometimes ask me if I know anyone in finance since it's their field, I can ask them if you want, maybe they have something else in their workplace?
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:07 pm

London's a little further than I'd like to commute, but if the right position comes along I'm sure I can make it work. Sure, feel free to see if they have anything -- I'd mainly be looking at communications/copywriting/proofreading, that sort of thing, since that's where my skill lie and I'm not really qualified for much else other than teaching, which will probably kill me if I ever go back to it.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:06 am

Hoo boy, I feel like with the crowd here we could start our own "crazy stories in front of the classroom" thread. I know I have more than my fair share to contribute.

Keep your head up Pete. Job hunting sucks, but we all know you're eminently qualified for something good. We believe in you. I believe in you.