Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.

Knife Scales

User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

Knife Scales

by asatiir » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:58 pm

After long weeks of game dev, I thought I'd unwind for a while and ended up finding myself in another creative project. I got into knife collecting and ended up modifying one of my favorite knives (Opinel No.8) and modify it to have deer antler scales.

pics here.

It was my first time making anything like this and even handling material like this, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

Re: Knife Scales

by Calin Kim » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Whoa, that is really cool.

I don't know a whole lot about knives, but I really like the look of the deer antler a lot better than the original handle.

If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions, I'm curious about working with the antler. Did you carve the antler in any way, or did you mostly just sand it down so that it would be smooth in your hand? Also, for the part that the knife fits in when it's closed, how did you do that?
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Calin Kim wrote:Did you carve the antler in any way, or did you mostly just sand it down so that it would be smooth in your hand?

I sawed off the bits to have it down to size and grinded down the sides to smoothen out the sides by using a grinding wheel. The wheel helped make the job quicker, sanding it down would have taken much longer in comparison.

Calin Kim wrote:Also, for the part that the knife fits in when it's closed, how did you do that?

I used a rotary tool with a thin cutting wheel, it helped keeping the line straight. I tried replicating how it worked with the original handle.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:26 pm

I figured you used a rotary tool, but I didn't know if you had a big setup with a lathe or something :)

So nice.
User

mrgilder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 am

Pennsylvania, USA

Real Name

Chris C.

Favorite Genres

RPG, "Hunting" RPGs, Action, Platformers,

Now Playing

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1, Bayonetta 2, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call, Xenoblade

by mrgilder » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:34 pm

That's really cool. Knife collecting as a hobby has always been very fascinating to me.
My mother-in-law's boyfriend is a rather well known knifemaker who makes some crazy-cools stuff.

http://www.tigheknives.com/
Check out my artwork on tumblr or deviantart.