Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

Re: Toronto Squaddies - Board game night at Snakes?

by A.I Impaired » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:27 am

One of these days I will have to make it down for some of that jazz.
Ottawa has Monopolatte , but I hear the original snakes is the place to be.
Mind you, my roomates have bought thousands of dollars worth of boardgames as it is. The shelving in our living room could almost pass for a stocked game shop. I think I may have tried only about half of them or less. If anyone is passing through Ottawa on pleasure and demands to be entertained... I might be able to hook you up.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:45 am

Does anyone else think we could turn going to Snakes & Lattes into a monthly Squad meeting? It would be good to touch base and have some fun. Every second Saturday, for example, whatever works well for everyone, parking/transit/time permitting, of course.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Stickied.

And if you make this a regular thing, just know that I will be green with envy. But don't let that stop you. :) I do get together with some folks for board games every couple of weeks, but we rarely have anywhere near enough time as we would like.

One of the things I like about Waterdeep is that it seems less likely that someone will totally dominate it. I've played it with my other half Andie a few times as well as with my regular board game buddies and the outcome has never been the same. Contrast with Agricola, for example, the final standings of which I can tell you before we start playing...
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:52 am

Angry Jedi wrote:And if you make this a regular thing, just know that I will be green with envy. But don't let that stop you. :)
One of the things I like about Waterdeep is that it seems less likely that someone will totally dominate it. I've played it with my other half Andie a few times as well as with my regular board game buddies and the outcome has never been the same.

Jon knew what he was doing, I think (we all chose Waterdeep from three he picked). The game was unpredictable, but not impossible for someone new to cause an upset, either.

I can completely see why you're envious, it's addictive to go there once you start on the right foot. :)
User

Grant Heaslip

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

by Grant Heaslip » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:48 pm

I forgot to check in here earlier, but suffice it to say I had a good time. As others have said, Waterdeep was a great choice for new players. It felt very dynamic -- as I recall, I might have been able to win if Beige hadn't snapped up a high-value quest I'd been eyeing. I liked the way the buffing quest rewards and character traits ended up playing into strategy -- I had quest reward that gave me money every time I picked up a rogue, so it became in my interest to pursue quests relying on those two resources.

I'm up for making this a regular thing as well.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:11 am

Glad you enjoyed it, too, Grant. :)

Even so, I'm unexpectedly unable to do this in December. January would probably work, though.

Ironically, it's because I brought friends to Snakes and Lagers, and ended up paying much more than I'd expected. Well, it's probably for the best, Lattes has a more low-key and focused kind of environment; no alcohol helps the noise levels, too.

If no one comes forward with a January date that would suit them best, I'll make a suggestion about a weeks' time from now.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Let's pencil something in in January then. I'm down for it. I'm off on Christmas break starting around the 19th of December and through to the New Year, and it's likely that I'll be at Snakes more than once during that time. If you're looking to catch me lurking, it's a good bet.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Ok, then. January 10th at 1pm sound ok? I can't make it for December at all.

Please let me know if this date is good for January.

If the rest of you want to go in December as well, you could work out an additional date to have some fun with, too. I'd be envious, but wish the rest of you well. ... Ask Jonathan to come around again to make it an even 4, perhaps? ;)
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Just a reminder, the next meeting will be THIS Saturday, January 10th at 1pm. How's everyone's schedule looking?
User

Rampant Bicycle

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Favorite Genres

RPGs (many varieties), adventure games, sims and puzzles.

Now Playing

Bravely Default, Story of Seasons (forthcoming), Monster Hunter 4

by Rampant Bicycle » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:37 pm

I think for us much depends on what we learn regarding our water heater; it decided that last night was a fine time to fail and dump some water into our basement, so we are currently without hot water at home. It's, er...very possible that we may be having that seen to tomorrow. (I hope.)

EDIT: Odds of us being swamped with water heater requirements tomorrow are presently approaching 100%, so I don't think I'd count on us being there.
PreviousNext