Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

Grant Heaslip

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Toronto Squaddies - Board game night at Snakes?

by Grant Heaslip » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:18 am

I think we're better off just winging it. As Rampant said, the staff are really good at recommending games, and something we pick ahead of time could be taken anyway. I'm not great at organizing stuff, but if someone names a weekend date I can probably make it work.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah, I'd be curious to see what the staff would say, never been to a board game themed cafe. Saturday would be fine for me, sometime like 3pm maybe?

EDIT: For any of us potentially taking the TTC downtown, Dufferin station will be under construction this weekend, no service inside of the station at all, but buses stopping there will still stop there. Shuttle buses will go between Lansdowne and Ossington stations, but subways will bypass Dufferin station altogether on Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth). Thank you, TTC e-Alerts.
Last edited by Teryn on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Grant Heaslip

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

by Grant Heaslip » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Saturday at 3 works for me.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Jealous of you fuckers right now. :) Hope you have a great time!
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:01 pm

BOOM, ok.... Saturday at 3pm seems to work for a lot of people. I'm into it. LET'S DO THIS.

Lynette and I will be at Snakes starting at around 2:30 I guess. Anybody who wants to join us, hop on over. I'll prep some Squad classics like Touch of Evil or Ghost Stories.

Depending how we feel we can up-ramp to something like Lords of Waterdeep or down-ramp to something simple like BANG dice. Should be a fun experiment. See you guys tomorrow.

I'll be wearing a blue shirt with the Squad logo on it FYI.
User

Grant Heaslip

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

by Grant Heaslip » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:05 am

I'm glad I thought to check on this topic – I wasn't sure this was happening this week. I should be there around 3.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm still on, too. Anybody else want to show up last minute, that'd be cool.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Wow! Snakes and Lattes was a great place! The energy and playfulness there is really missing from a lot of other places where you eat and drink in Toronto, which sucks.

I'd rather go there and spend a bit more to stay there than spend 1 minute in a coffee shop where everyone is staring at their phone or laptop with no conversations with anyone around them.

Only reason I didn't comment earlier on how things went is because I was waiting for everyone else to say something. It was the most fun I'd had in ages!

... And somewhat complicated board games aren't as scary as they used to be, it was good to learn new things.

Oh, and we played: Concept, Lords of Waterdeep, and then a bit of Hanabi to cool down with, er, sort of. Hanabi is pretty tense for a simple card game!

Going to bring my family over there on Friday, hope they have half the fun I did that night. ^_^
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Good picks. I liked the concept of Concept but I'm not sure I was crazy about the execution -- it can shine with the right people, but it's a little too daunting for others. I think I still prefer Dixit.

Lords of Waterdeep is a great game. A nicely accessible introduction to "worker-placement" Euro-style games... and the fact that their theme is generally somewhat flimsy at best! The expansion for Lords of Waterdeep helps a little with this, though not by much. It doesn't matter too much, though; there's enough D&D flavour there to get its hooks in, then you can concentrate on the interesting strategies you can employ. It's a game with a lot of replayability, too, since it's significantly different each time you play according to the combinations of Lords, quests and available buildings.

Haven't played Hanabi, but I hear good things.

Glad the evening was a success!
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Yep, definitely successful. It may have been a mistake to invite quasi-squadmember Jon to the party as he kind of ran away with Waterdeep, but we couldn't keep him away once the word got out that a board game event was going down. Still, I feel pretty confident that a good time was had by all.

The Squad went out for Korean food next door after the festivities concluded, bibimbap was eaten, good times.

I think it's probably likely that we will do another Squad board game day at some point in the future. Waterdeep seemed to be a hit, and Concept seemed to be the ideal warmer-upper. Now that everybody can recognize one another on sight there should be less confusion in the meetup phase.

I'm going to suggest Ghost Stories next time we break out the bits. Keep this thread pinned for the next time people are in town.
PreviousNext