Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Toronto Squaddies - Board game night at Snakes?

by Beige » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:56 pm

A startling number of you guys actually seem to live in the Toronto area and yet few of us have met up in the real world.

Any interest in a SoS Board Game night at Snakes and Lattes? I'll take you all on at Boss Monster.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

Re: Toronto Squaddies - Board game night at Snakes?

by Teryn » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:37 am

$5 per person isn't bad, how are the drink/food prices?

Looked up Boss Monster, looks like a lot of fun. ^_^

What other kinds of games are you into? I'm more inexperienced with the more involved games because it's difficult to cram the rules into my head. But I've enjoyed the classics like Battleship and Game of Life and such. Was recently told about Cards Against Humanity, it looks darkly funny, the cafe has the Canadian Edition there.
User

Rampant Bicycle

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Favorite Genres

RPGs (many varieties), adventure games, sims and puzzles.

Now Playing

Bravely Default, Story of Seasons (forthcoming), Monster Hunter 4

by Rampant Bicycle » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:39 pm

Teryn, I think our tastes in board games tend to run toward the more "gamers' games" than to titles of the "Game of Life" variety.

Do I mean Risk? Good heavens no. Risk fans are welcome to it (and more power to them), but I generally prefer a less distant game experience.

I tend to prefer cooperative or more gently-competitive games, myself - whatever the Scale of Backstabbing Desires is called, I'm in the negative numbers on it - and the more narrative I can tease out of the experience, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Games I have had a lot of fun with in the past include but are not limited to:

- Ghost Stories
- Touch of Evil
- Concept (which is bizarrely fun even if you completely ignore the rules)
- Shadows Over Camelot
- Pandemic
- Tokaido ("the game of competitive nice-day-having")
- Mice and Mystics

...and others. I could go on but that's probably adequate for now.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:21 pm

I thought of those classic games as "simple", instead of "distant". Classic board games are meant to be relatively idiot-proof experiences with little in-depth story, probably to keep it easier for children.

I've had few board game experiences that go further than your average Game of Life, and when I tried to get into something more hardcore, it was pretty intimidating.

I want to gently introduce myself to some board or card games that won't throw me into the deep end too quickly. I have a rotten memory, so I fear that trying to memorize too many rules will only leave me floundering and making any game boring or frustrating to those who are more experienced.

They still do look like a lot of fun to play with others, all that aside. Maybe it's easier to be completely lost in a video game than a board game because then only you are a witness to your distress or confusion.

EDIT: Concept looks like a good one, sort of simplifying charades so you can more easily get across what your body language (perhaps) couldn't. Mice and Mystics sounds good, too, making the smallest problems the biggest ones once you're turned into a rodent. Sorry for worrying so much before anything's even happened, social anxiety gets the better of me sometimes.
User

Grant Heaslip

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

by Grant Heaslip » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Hey, I'm late to this topic, but I'm up for Snakes and Lattes. Like Teryn, I'm not too familiar with more complicated board games. I've gone to S&L several times with friends and picked up fairly complex games that someone else in the group was familiar with, but in the interest of not spending half an hour tutorializing, it might be best to start with something simpler.

I'm somewhat familiar with Pandemic, Power Grid, Bang!, and several others I can't recall the names of. I've had a bunch of fun with Hanabi with less-experienced groups. Cards Against Humanity is a good ice-breaker if we're all on the same relative page filth-wise.

Food/drink prices are fairly good by downtown Toronto standards.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm still up for it, too, and willing to move up from the old classics or simple games with more practice. ... Just don't throw anything like Carcasonne at me right away, please. Any night or weekend date is fine with me schedule-wise.

On a totally different note: Isn't the snow beautiful? ^^ AND it's not the heavy, packing kind, so it should be easier to deal with if you're driving or needing to shovel. Gonna walk outside tonight with my family and enjoy the look of snow at night in the city.
User

Grant Heaslip

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

by Grant Heaslip » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:11 pm

I'm not living downtown at the moment (I'm about an hour away by GO), but as long as I've got a bit of warning I can pack some errands and friend stuff together to make it worth the trip. Weekends are better in that respect.

The snow *is* nice. I was in Montreal last winter, so I'm pretty acclimatized to big snowfalls now. Oddly enough, I found it a lot easier to get by in downtown Montreal in the winter because their sidewalk clearing is more punctual and efficient.
User

Rampant Bicycle

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Favorite Genres

RPGs (many varieties), adventure games, sims and puzzles.

Now Playing

Bravely Default, Story of Seasons (forthcoming), Monster Hunter 4

by Rampant Bicycle » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:19 pm

No worries, interested folk - the staff at Snakes are in my experience pretty good at helping match a group with a game that'll work for them. (I fully admit I am slightly biased, as I play board games with several of them on a pretty regular basis. But there's a lot of game knowledge on deck to help out people who want to find something to play, honest. ;))

Also, to clarify my earlier comment: When I said "distant" I was speaking specifically of Risk, and meant that I don't generally gravitate to the kind of board game where I represent an abstract nation/corporate entity and am looking down at a map from on high, with my actions being of the "this token represents several hundred soldiers, which I shall now place over here" variety - I generally prefer it if I'm getting to play a character or something. (Strangely, in video game land this feeling doesn't bother me so much - I am perfectly happy to hang out for quite some time playing Civilization or Endless Legend. Go figure.)

There are exceptions, of course - the probably-deservedly-popular Ticket to Ride is pleasantly chill, for instance, and Suburbia is solid, though for a game in which the players don't interact much it is a mean little thing.

At the farthest extreme, there are games that feel (to me) an awful lot more like playing a mathematics problem than like participating in an epic battle to save the world (or a silly race involving cartoon animals).

Overall, though, I prefer the scale of what I'm playing to be a little less...remote, whether that means "I'm going to be the boss of this 8-bit dungeon! Rawr!" or "I bet on the fox to win" or "Today I think I want to be the playwright guy" or "If I go use my kung-fu on THIS ghost, then you can take out THIS one and we'll maybe have a chance at Wu Feng!"

Purely subjective, and not at all a reflection on the kinds of games most of us grew up with (though I cannot pretend I do not think Monopoly is pretty dull. ;))
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Four player co-op could be a winner. There's a ton of options there.

Robinson Crusoe if you want the pure co-op experience of trying to survive on a desert island...

Ghost Stories is the bizzity bomb, though it's a ball buster when it comes to difficulty -- not from rules complexity, it is just hard as hell. You will almost never defeat Wu Feng, he has many incarnations.

Always up for A Touch of Evil - Arkham Horror lite without the 5 hour playtime. Co-op-petitive where two teams of two try to stalk the big bad and duel him first is a laugh and a half.

If this works out we'll try some hidden traitor style games. Dead of Winter could be a good one.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:09 am

Co-op, definitely sounds good. Are we going to try to figure out which games we'll play beforehand here, or just wing it once we're there? Doesn't matter to me, feeling like it would be great either way.
Next