Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

ek6891

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 pm

UK

Real Name

Emily King

Favorite Genres

RPG, JRPG, Shooters, Action Adventure

Now Playing

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

The recipe for Dr Pepper in the UK has changed and now...

by ek6891 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:53 am

... I can no longer drink it.

They have begun adding aspartame to the sugar version and I'm really allergic to that stuff.

I didn't drink it all the time, it was just an occasional treat.

"What's the worse that can happen?"

How about not being able to breathe :(

I have, of course, sent a bunch of passive aggressive tweets at the Dr Pepper GB account about it all and I'm seriously thinking of writing a letter to the company.

There are other, less dangerous sweeteners they could have chosen (aspartame is also bad news to a group of people who have a particular liver condition), but I know it's cheap as hell and that will be the main reason why they chose it. I also think this switch is partially the fault of action groups like Action On Sugar who are pushing for things like this to happen, but don't care about the means that companies take.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: The recipe for Dr Pepper in the UK has changed and now..

by Angry Jedi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:00 am

That sucks -- and is a little odd. Aspartame, in my experience, is usually used as the sugar substitute in diet drinks rather than Fat Coke versions.

You're probably right about the root cause, but for heaven's sake, it's a can of pop. Obscene amounts of sugar comes with the territory!

To cheer you up (or possibly depress you, in which case I'm sorry) here is the full song from which the "So Misunderstood" jingle (which I was dismayed to discover Americans have never heard of) comes from:

User

ek6891

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 pm

UK

Real Name

Emily King

Favorite Genres

RPG, JRPG, Shooters, Action Adventure

Now Playing

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

by ek6891 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:31 am

Angry Jedi wrote:That sucks -- and is a little odd. Aspartame, in my experience, is usually used as the sugar substitute in diet drinks rather than Fat Coke versions.

It's been a growing trend in the UK soft drinks industry to make drinks sweeter by adding artificial sweeteners on top of sugar. I haven't drunk Fanta, Lilt or Tango in years, because this was done to them.

I remember that song, or rather the "So misunderstood" moment of it. The Americans really missed out on that.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Whaaa? Sugar--AND Aspartame?! Gah, I'm glad I got sensitive to Aspartame, it always leaves such a horrendous aftertaste in your mouth, doesn't seem like something healthy, either. I'm glad that aside from "diet" drinks, it hasn't caught on too heavily.

I wonder why more companies don't embrace Sucralose. It's been around for decades now, tastes a lot better than Aspartame, but it's likely more expensive to derive from sugar (probably why it tastes better), because even here (North America) very few companies use it as a rule if they won't use sugar.

I hear you for formula-changing, too, especially for soft drinks. They're always trying to fix what isn't broken. Honestly shocked that some people are actually allergic to aspartame, but not exactly surprised. So sorry they've ruined your treat. :(