Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

What's an indulgent, tasty treat local to your region?

by Angry Jedi » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:48 am

I just had a cream tea -- scone, clotted cream and jam, accompanied by a hot beverage (not necessarily tea) and enjoyed it a lot. While eating, I realised that this may be something those of you elsewhere in the world might not have experienced, so I thought I'd ask the question: what's something delicious unique to your part of the world?

Cream teas aren't technically "local" to me because they're from Devon and Cornwall, which are a bit further west along the south coast of the UK than I am, but they're widespread enough near me to totally count. Plus our country is tiny.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

Re: What's an indulgent, tasty treat local to your region?

by Teryn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:59 am

Hm, local? You may as well ask what's considered delicious across the world's stage. You've been to Toronto, so I hope you've at least seen a sliver of how we're a very multicultural place.

As for what's more specific, I have to go a bit more general, ironically. There are a few things here that don't seem to have spread to the States, like Ketchup chips (crisps, whichever) and the use of white vinegar. I don't know why, but in the states they tend to use malt vinegar for a condiment and Ketchup chips don't really exist save around the border.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Teryn wrote:Hm, local? You may as well ask what's considered delicious across the world's stage. You've been to Toronto, so I hope you've at least seen a sliver of how we're a very multicultural place.

As for what's more specific, I have to go a bit more general, ironically. There are a few things here that don't seem to have spread to the States, like Ketchup chips (crisps, whichever) and the use of white vinegar. I don't know why, but in the states they tend to use malt vinegar for a condiment and Ketchup chips don't really exist save around the border.

Ketchup crisps are great. I'm also a fan of Worcester sauce flavour crisps. Walkers do the finest example of the latter; I think Golden Wonder's ketchup crisps are probably the best. I can also recommend Marmite crisps if you can find them -- assuming you like Marmite, of course.

Oh yes, I've experienced Toronto's multicultural bliss. Last time we came we had Vietnamese sandwiches, Japanese ramen, poutine and all manner of other goodness.

EDIT: We tend to use malt vinegar for the most part here, too -- it's very much a "chip shop vinegar" -- though white vinegar gets used for pickling things. Pickled eggs are a personal favourite.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Angry Jedi wrote:poutine

Ottawa is a complicated town, taking flavours from across the country but not keeping much unique to its own. It blends the anglo and franco influences. Largely though it celebrates the larger Canadian cuisine. Up here in Ottawa poutine is everywhere, even at Mcdonalds. Its a guilty pleasure. Ottawa hosts a poutine fest now, and you get to sample poutine with all kinds of odd things in it which you might not find elsewhere.( ie. Lobster etc.) We even have poutine flavoured 'crisps' showing up now. They cant quite simulate the complicated texture of cheese curd though.

Also, Beavertails. Mid winter when you are freezing your nips into glass, the sight of a beavertail shack is a beautiful thing. It isnt an actual beavertail of course, just a lovely fried dough pastry covered in cinnamon and sugar. I believe it may contain love itself in its delicious crevices. Down in Ottawa's expansive frozen canal (it at least used to be the worlds longest skating rink), you could find these shacks littered all about serving you your hot cocoa and deep fried sugary cinammony goodness.

Oh goodness.... also cover everything at breakfast in maple syrup. That is fair Canadian practice.
"Canadian" Pizza flavour is also good stuff. You got your Pepperoni, Mushroom and bacon. What makes this Canadian? Because we said so.

Also, our milk can come in bags motherfucker.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:23 pm

A.I Impaired wrote:Oh goodness.... also cover everything at breakfast in maple syrup. That is fair Canadian practice.
"Canadian" Pizza flavour is also good stuff. You got your Pepperoni, Mushroom and bacon. What makes this Canadian? Because we said so.

"Canadian" toppings are ok, but I prefer "Super" pizza, because it's more super with the green pepper and no bacon. :P So what do you really cover in maple syrup? Is it 100% pure? ;)
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:41 pm

We got milk bags over here a while back. I was not impressed. The jug which you used to serve said milk was a nightmare to clean and consequently quickly became stinky and horrible. I went back to comfortable, familiar plastic bottles.

Oh! You guys have All-Dressed (sp?) chips. I want those.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:17 am

Yeah, all dressed is pretty boss. A taste that is hard to describe, but quite satisfying.

Also, I just realized that Kraft Dinner is a Canadian thing mostly.
Its the cheap Mac and Cheese addiction that keeps students and vagrants eating like kings!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraft_Dinn ... an_culture

and the rest of the world doesn't eat butter tarts? For shame!
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:21 pm

All-dressed tastes like a chip with "the works", more or less. I can taste barbecue, ketchup, perhaps a tiny bit of dill?, and salt and vineagar, maybe there's more, too. Depends on the brand exactly which mix of the flavours you get (I swear cheaper brands do around 50% dill, eww.)

We Canadians definitely have a lot of love for KD (there's a states version, but no religion is based around it ;). Our family makes it special: extra milk and cheese powder from a bulk food store. Tastes delicious!

"Butter Tarts" look suspiciously like small "Treacle Tart"s with raisins in it. Haven't tried making the latter, though, so maybe they're different after all?
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:54 pm

Well... Living in NJ, there isn't really a lot of things that are unique around these parts. I could say bagels cause there's a bagel shop every 2-3 blocks in the entire state, but that is more of a NY thing, however, there is one thing:

Pork Roll. Also known as Taylor Ham, it's only found in NJ (also in parts of NY and Pennsylvania, but it's harder to get around those parts) and it's often used in breakfast sandwiches or as a side. Although it also shows up in burgers depending on the joint you go to, and this thing is... delectable, succulent, depraved, I can assure you this will probably kill you faster than bacon will, but it is soooo tasty, If you're ever in the caustic hole of guidos and rich people that is NJ, make sure you get your butt in a deli and get yourself some pork roll.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm into tea, at least the bagged kind that is scraped off the floor in England and sent to the US. So, what the hell is "cream tea"? I could Google, but that's no fun.
Next