Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: What's an indulgent, tasty treat local to your region?

by Angry Jedi » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Cream tea is a cup of regular tea (just normal crappy tea is fine), plus a scone, some clotted cream (I don't really know what that is, but it's fucking delicious) and some jam, usually strawberry or raspberry.

Cut scone in half, apply generous amount of clotted cream where you would normally apply butter, spread jam on top. Eat, drink tea. Belch thunderously.
User

mrgilder

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:07 am

Pennsylvania, USA

Real Name

Chris C.

Favorite Genres

RPG, "Hunting" RPGs, Action, Platformers,

Now Playing

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1, Bayonetta 2, Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy - Curtain Call, Xenoblade

by mrgilder » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:49 pm

Raven2785 wrote:Pork Roll. Also known as Taylor Ham, it's only found in NJ (also in parts of NY and Pennsylvania, but it's harder to get around those parts) and it's often used in breakfast sandwiches or as a side. Although it also shows up in burgers depending on the joint you go to, and this thing is... delectable, succulent, depraved, I can assure you this will probably kill you faster than bacon will, but it is soooo tasty, If you're ever in the caustic hole of guidos and rich people that is NJ, make sure you get your butt in a deli and get yourself some pork roll.

I'm from a part of PA that's only like 45 minutes from NJ, so we have Pork Roll here too. I'm obsessed with it. Have you ever diced it up into tiny cubes made an omelette with it? To die for. I also love it sliced thick & grilled, on a nice, soft Martin's potato roll, with mayo, ketchup and nice slice of raw sweet-onion. Unfortunately my low-sodium diet makes Pork Roll a no no for me these days. Such a shame.

For the approval of you all, I humbly submit one of Eastern Pennsylvania's greatest treats, the humble Shoefly pie.

Named as such because it is so sweet, that the flies cannot resist pestering you when you eat it. It's essentially a pie that made entirely of some sort of solidified molasses (I assume butter is involved) and that delightful brown sugar crumble that makes cobbler so delicious. The shoefly pie is a gift of the strange and mystic Amish people. My wife had never heard of it when she moved in with me (from Southern Ontario), but now she bugs me to drive 2 hours to Lancaster county just to get an authentic pie for her from time to time. It's amazing.
Check out my artwork on tumblr or deviantart.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Loz (Almond fruit): These are usually a summer fare. Flesh is a bit firm and crunchy and has a nice sour tank to it. these fruits are a bit prone to be full of worms (non that are harmful to your stomach anyway).

Asidat Bober (pumpkin porridge/pudding, literally "the squashed pumpkin): an old favorite consisting of a doughy porridge mad from wheat, honey (sometimes sugar), pumpkin and clarified butter Watch video of making it here.

Omani Halwa: Technically not local but pretty popular here, a very heavy sweet that has more than one way of making it, but it is usually made of very starchy ingredients with a lot of sweet ingredients, nuts and spices. It is heavy and one spoonful (which is the usual portion) can be a little overwhelming if you haven't had it before
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:32 pm

I was actually racking my brain for a bit coming up with a satisfying answer to this question, because while there's a ton of great food in Los Angeles, not a whole lot of it qualifies as an "LA original."

For instance, there are three or four sushi restaurants that I will put up for the Pepsi Challenge against any sushi restaurant that you can name, but sushi obviously didn't originate here, even if we do have some ridiculously tasty places. (Seriously, Matsuhisa is as good as everyone says it is.)

Then, I realized that Southern California does have something that the rest of the US can't touch: street tacos.

I know what you're thinking. But Calin, can't you get these in Mexico?

Hell yes you can get these in Mexico, but Los Angeles has this awesome accumulation of Mexican immigrants from all over Mexico, which means we get lots of local specialties without having to travel all the way to Oaxaca or Chiapas. The image I posted above is from El Chato, which is a taco truck that's pretty close to my place. They are legit.

As with a lot of these places, the menu is minimal, which means everything that's on there is really good. Here's the menu for El Chato: http://losangeles.menupages.com/restaur ... truck/menu

Several different kinds of meat, and you can put it in a taco or a burrito. Also there's water. That's it. Get yourself a few tacos, and walk around eating them. It's the best when you're hungry at midnight or you've been drinking booze since breakfast and need to eat something before you turn into Sid Vicious.
Previous