Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.

Burning downtime

User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Burning downtime

by Angry Jedi » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm new to this whole "having a day job with actual downtime" thing -- my past lives have included being a teacher and a retail monkey, neither of which are jobs where you can easily slack off, and a games journalist, where it's very easy to slack off since you're working from home.

I find myself about 15 minutes before time to go home in my new job, however, and there is literally nothing left to do today. Let's hear some of your best ways of filling downtime while on the clock -- other than posting here, of course!
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

Re: Burning downtime

by Raven2785 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:37 pm

2 words: mobile games, just wip out your 3DS/Vita and have a quick game of something fast and arcadey. Or if you don't want to wip them out/cannot wip them out, a phone game might be the one thing for you, some Kairosoft games (the *Fill blank here* Story sim games) puzzle games, Racing games are good to have in that span of time (I recommend CSR racing, drag racing game that gives you that feel of street racing that the very first NFS Underground did)

No game? this is also a good time to carry a magazine/newspaper with you then, book might be ok too, but books lend themselves to be an experience you want to sit down for longer periods of time with, 15 minutes might not cut it.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:43 pm

I hate most phone games (I spent a year reviewing them; it was enough to make me swear them off forever, largely due to the ever-present freemium crap) and I need to at least look like I might be doing something useful, so the 3DS and Vita are out too, unfortunately. (Been playing Velocity 2X on my lunch break, though; that's a perfect lunchtime game.)

Book or magazine isn't a bad idea, though again it's a bit obvious that I'm not working! :)

Reading generally isn't a terrible way to burn time, though. Since quitting social media, I've found myself reading more diverse sites on the Internet; I'm keeping up with the news a lot more, and I've been exploring many other bloggers' work through the WordPress app, too.
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Then you've only one choice left... Become a redittor. XD

If you expressly need to look like you're working, then looking up a good site that you can be on for spending some time isn't a bad idea either, hell, I knew someone who wasted time at work just talking to Cleverbot.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Free-to-plays on Big Fish on the rare ocassion (though I'm just a troll, never pay anything). I have a strange, embarassing obsession with hidden object games. Oh! Should have mentioned this right off!

Here: http://www.rinkworks.com. Very low bandwidth personal site that grew bigger around the creators' likes and dislikes (movies, tech support, Princess Bride, text games, rogue-likes). I like the Adventure Games Live section best, which autosaves after every move, so if you have to close a window quick to start working, you can do it without losing your progress. The Computer Stupidities section is good for old-fashioned "it's not a drink holder?"-style Tech Support e-mails and transcribed phone call stories, some you can see a mile away, others are pleasant surprises.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Wow. That site is like stepping back through a time portal to the Internet of 1995. (That's no bad thing, incidentally. Thanks for the recommendation!)
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:49 am

You're very welcome. :)