Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

Re: Squadron of Shame Squad Music Mix Submission Thread

by Teryn » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:56 am

Ah, I see. Did I confuse myself about Soundcloud, then? *blushes*

Only the public streaming of any music is the only real issue. If it were a matter of just sharing files for individual listening, it would make things much, much easier. Broadcasting is not the same thing as just listening to a group of files by yourself, only on your computer.

I'm not against anybody else listening to MP3s at all, private listening of MP3s is just fine.

I'd be fine with the old way of doing things, but it'd be better to cover our bases by not putting anything with a copyright in it. Again, something with any kind of CC license is fine for that, because there's no restrictions on copying the files for private listening.

Everything I'd mentioned before is precautions so some jerk doesn't try to get money from SoS, but that only applies to a public stream. What's everybody else's take on this?
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:35 am

I'm not sure when Soundcloud came into the mix, pardon the pun. I got confused as well! The old mixes were fun to put together; used to tidy up each song via the IDTag, design and add theme-related covers, a poster...I guess just like cutting a mixtape for friends. Quite an illuminating and insightful way of seeing what other Squaddies' tastes are.

Re: podcast - We could sling the Squadcast files on Archive.org, pump them back through iTunes, Stitcher etc., and all would be secure and well. I've used it to great effect with a project a number of years back. Worked alarmingly well.

Anyway, will continue consider my two tunes for this mix.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:19 pm

Yes, I'm not sure how Soundcloud got into this either. The Soundcloud account is intended for hosting the podcasts since it's reliable and multiplatform (mobile-friendly) plus allows for easy embeds of streaming players etc. It also means we shouldn't have to manually manage RSS feeds as I was doing in the past.

But yeah. Squad mix has always been a semi-private thing, an excuse to share some favourite tunes with each other more than anything else!

I'll have a ponder, and I'll update the announcement box to point people towards this thread, too. Some people might not have seen it.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:13 pm

This is a tough one if we're taking the theme literally. Anyone going Biblical with it?
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:52 pm

Weighing in here, after a few days offline:

a) In case nobody noticed yet: All our back catalogue Squadcasts have been uploaded to the SoundCloud account.

I did it on my birthday over the weekend - you're welcome. We still need to add some descriptions and meta information (like tags) to the files and get a subforum whipped into shape here on the board to track and comment. I would also like some basic organization as far as playlists / folders for the different seasons go on the soundcloud account. I wouldn't mind adding some album artwork either and generally tidying up the collection, but in any case the audio is back online. You can listen to any prior Squadcast, starting now. Time for a top-level page on the boards with threads for each of the different missions.

Reason for SoundCloud: Multiplatform, integrates into PHPBB smoothly, takes care of tagging, RSS etc. and scales up and down independent of bandwidth on the main site. One stop shop for audio broadcasting.

https://soundcloud.com/squadronofshame

b) Squad Mix:
If people are uncomfortable hosting streaming MP3s on Soundcloud then we won't do that, but the format of "submit song(s), compile into delightful goulash, enjoy" will continue.

The Squad Mix predates streaming as a dominant paradigm - it was always designed as a mix tape we collectively contributed towards and then passed around in a lump. It's for private consumption on devices like MP3 players while you're travelling around. If the mixtape format is incompatible with streaming rights issue, so be it, we don't stream over SoundCloud. But we will facilitate the business of people getting their music one way or another, and we will have a collective thing. Hosting zips, perhaps.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:09 pm

I'm fine with sharing whatever anybody likes, copywritten or not if it's on a single-file basis for personal listening. Don't mean to sound like I'm going back on what I said, big companies do make things difficult when they shouldn't, but I don't care if the sharing is on a small scale.

Not on a stream, no problem what people want to submit. Just don't submit FLACs. ;)

... Am I still calling the shots on this, then? If we'd be doing it the old way, would Alex care to take the reins again?
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:57 pm

I think it'd be fresh to have you try your hand at curating submissions, Teryn. If you've the time, then I say go for it!
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Alex Connolly wrote:I think it'd be fresh to have you try your hand at curating submissions, Teryn. If you've the time, then I say go for it!

Hm, ok, then. So just gather the files up and compress them into one file (with the separate files inside) and put them on Dropbox or something of the sort, that's it? Sorry for sounding a bit dumb, need to double-check to be sure.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:25 pm

Ok ok... so confusion is my barrier here. What am I doing with my sound files? I have not used soundcloud personally outside of listening to clips passed my way from time to time. Should I just send them to an email instead? I can probably manage to get them in a different format if needed. Once I know what I am doing, there is no problem.
Edit: There was a second page, and I see the confusion was mutual. So, if there is a dropbox to send these to, or what have we... I will require some kind of link and or credentials presumably. Either that or an email. S'all good. Thanks to everyone for their hard work!
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:47 pm

A.I Impaired wrote:Edit: There was a second page, and I see the confusion was mutual. So, if there is a dropbox to send these to, or what have we... I will require some kind of link and or credentials presumably. Either that or an email.

A PM to me with a link to a file is what I need, either that or a good description of a file you truly cannot find, if I read Alex's rules right from the first post on this thread:
Alex Connolly wrote:If possible, please include links to hosted MP3s, otherwise be as specific as possible when listing artists, tracks etc.

EDIT: I would not mind if anybody wanted to submit OGG files, either.
PreviousNext