Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Squadron of Shame Squad Music Mix Submission Thread

by Alex Connolly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:25 am

THE STUNNING RETURN OF THE SQUADRON OF SHAME SQUAD MUSIC MIX

The time has come to revive the aural event of hallowed reverence. It has been many a moon since we last bathed in sounds of the squad; a rich reef of music submitted by the community under a common theme, music from anywhere and everywhere. The guidelines are as follows:

• Submissions are to include up to two songs.
  • If possible, please include links to hosted MP3s, otherwise be as specific as possible when listing artists, tracks etc.
  • Submissions are to be made via PM to TERYN on this forum, not in this thread.
  • The theme for this Squad Mix is "Prodigal Sons & Daughters", which can be interpreted any way.
  • Submissions close October 8th

Go, friends. Do with the theme what you will.
Last edited by Alex Connolly on Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

Re: Squadron of Shame Squad Music Mix Submission Thread

by A.I Impaired » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:35 am

YES! *fist pump*
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:11 am

No objections if the files aren't in MP3 format? Is Ogg Vorbis an acceptable substitute? Or would you prefer a conversion to MP3 before submitting the files?
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:49 am

Most formats accepted, but I'd prefer MP3. If conversion isn't an issue, can I be a pain in the arse and ask it to be transmogrified to MP3?
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi all - just wanted you to know that I've just purchased a year of SoundCloud Pro on our behalf.

https://soundcloud.com/squadronofshame will be our destination for sounds from now on.

We'll be uploading stuff shortly. If you'd like to contribute to the collective pot, I'll try to arrange some kind of Paypal hat passing thing. Net damage is around $150 Canadian per year. This is volunatary but appreciated.

Because the account is tied to (my) credit card I can't give access to everybody, but I will be stick-handling requests to post past and future audio. Enjoy the re-emergence of podcasts on the Squadron of Shame.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:43 pm

Good show!
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Alex Connolly wrote:Most formats accepted, but I'd prefer MP3. If conversion isn't an issue, can I be a pain in the arse and ask it to be transmogrified to MP3?

EDIT: Sorry for being a wimp about this subject at first, but this is a heavy issue.

Sorry, I won't re-encode lossy files, it would really mess up the sound quality. OGG has improved fidelity at the midranges, and the licensing/patent/royalty issues around MP3 are still very messed up. If the Squadron made money from the stream, even if it was just the money to help with Beige's SoundCloud account, one of these companies that owns a patent might come after us for royalties for just using the MP3 file format. Also, anybody with a purely free OS wouldn't be capable of submitting anything.

It gets more complicated with public music streaming than private. I know it sounds farfetched, but it would be less of a headache to make sure that we're not doing anything that anybody could ask us to pay for (aside from Beige kindly paying for the SoundCloud account).

http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/1198303-what-types-of-files-can-i-upload- The only open and lossy format accepted here is OGG. All the other formats have patent issues, or are lossless and too huge to work with for a small project like this (ie. FLAC).

Not asking everyone to convert their entire music collections, but there are some risks when uploading for public listening, and they could be costly to everyone if we're not careful. I'm not sure if converting from MP3 to something else would help or not, and SoundCloud's TOS is very insistent about not uploading anything that has already been copyrighted. At best, the music would sound bad and at the worst, we'd end up in legal hot water.

These issues aside, is there any particular reason that you're asking us to use MP3, Alex? Would you be willing to try an open format instead?
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:57 am

If you're interested in taking over the mix, then by all means. It was really just because everyone has MP3s on hand and we've just used the format in the past because it's the most supported.

No hard feelings, I'll let you take things from here.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:06 am

Alex Connolly wrote:If you're interested in taking over the mix, then by all means. It was really just because everyone has MP3s on hand and we've just used the format in the past because it's the most supported.

No hard feelings, I'll let you take things from here.

I'm relieved you got back to me, Alex, was worried I'd just dumped the hugest thread killer in history. This kind of thing is not fun at all, because corporations and patents can ruin a lot of nice things. :/

There's CC-licensed music on Soundcloud, I'll research more to be certain of the conditions of sharable audio streams.

Also, if we were thinking of still doing the Soundcloud and submitting our own files, this is an excellent site to pick up CC-licensed music:

http://ccmixter.org I've been listening for years, their M.O. is to have a lot of CC-licensed music all in one place for people to listen to, derive new mixes from, and even make money with (if the license permits it).

It's extremely varied, too, not just hip-hop or electronic dance music, but piano recordings, electric guitar, acapella, pretty much any instrument you can think of, there's either a sample or remix. The tagging isn't exhaustively comprehensive but comes pretty close, the Editors' Picks are a good place to start off, and you can find more of the remixers' music, every sample is attributed and each person given credit.

CC-licensed music is pretty awesome, and the licenses are made very human readable, so there's little problem with trying to figure out what one is permitted to do with the music.

There are no royalty problems with OGG or FLAC files, and I think that so long as the music doesn't list "NC" (non-commercial) in the license, it should be fine to listen to publicly and help Beige with the costs of the Soundcloud.

I'll keep everyone posted, don't want to try things before I'm sure it will work properly. Thanks for trusting me. It's really good here at the SoS, a place away from the lulzy chaos and "yelling" around the internet, very peaceful and fun. I want to protect it.

EDIT: spelling.
Last edited by Teryn on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:03 am

Seems like you've done your homework!

All we've done prior is throw the mixes into a zip file, host on dropbox for a bit and then everyone moves on. I'm not actually sure why Soundcloud has come into this when Archive.org is free to host the old Squadcasts, with no subscription or hosting costs.

I was thinking the mixes themselves were to be independent of Soundcloud. Anyway, out of my hands from here, so rock on. Was kind of hoping to see more buzz, but we're a long way from the compact all-in that was the old Squawkbox.
Next