Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.

The random thoughts thread

User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

The random thoughts thread

by Raven2785 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:41 pm

The idea of this thread is to post things that have popped into your mind as you were in the shower, folding laundry, or whatever inane task that leaves enough time for your mind to wander randomly and come up with stuff that is crazy, awesome, crazy awesome, or just plain weird.

If you think some of us here would find it interesting and it really doesn't merit a full thread post then go ahead and throw it here, we'll talk a bit about it and move on to the next topic.

With that in mind, I will start:

I was thinking the other day about how a Fallout game where you get to visit Not-Disneyland would be amazing, not just cause of the whole creepy theme park thing would make for some nice scares, but knowing Fallout's absolute love of mocking modern society coupled with it's dark humor we would surely encounter a clandestine cult hiding amongst the ruins worshiping the last working animatron of Donald Duck. it's would be hilarious.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: The random thoughts thread

by Angry Jedi » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:07 am

Aside from the fact Disney would never ever allow that, that would be pretty great. Seeing today's iconic characters through the eyes of a bewildered wasteland wanderer would be an interesting experience.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:10 am

Ooh, I got one. How might Shenmue have turned out differently if circumstances dictated Ryo needed to get an office job instead of driving a forklift? That 100-man brawl would have been fun indoors, smashing people into desks and scattering computer screens and paperwork everywhere.

Just realised that I've essentially just described Yakuza.
User

BusyZombieLord

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Maine

Real Name

Lou

Favorite Genres

RPG, Adventure, and Story Driven

Now Playing

Secret of Mana, Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition for PS3, Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon for PS2

by BusyZombieLord » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:18 am

I have always thought that Fallout drops the ball by always being in the US. We kind of have an idea how the US fair in the wastelands but what about Europe, Canada, or someplace like New Zeland. What crazy religions or governments sprang up there. What would happen if the Brotherhood started to go there? All questions we probably won't ever know. Instead Fallout 4 will more than likely be someplace like LA or Seattle.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:46 am

BusyZombieLord wrote:I have always thought that Fallout drops the ball by always being in the US. We kind of have an idea how the US fair in the wastelands but what about Europe, Canada, or someplace like New Zeland. What crazy religions or governments sprang up there. What would happen if the Brotherhood started to go there? All questions we probably won't ever know. Instead Fallout 4 will more than likely be someplace like LA or Seattle.

Yeah, probably. I'm not sure if the series has stayed in America for familiarity (to devs or gamers?) or convenience's sake (most of the devs and a good portion of the gamers are American, too).

I feel like maybe more could be done with the types of terrain in Fallout games. Maybe areas that used to be more seasonally (or permanently) wintry could become temperate and tropical zones become nearly uninhabitable because of the temperature rising after the heavy cloud cover of massive nuclear fallout. It'd make all the temperatures go 10C higher across the globe, at least temporarily.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:37 pm

BusyZombieLord wrote:I have always thought that Fallout drops the ball by always being in the US. We kind of have an idea how the US fair in the wastelands but what about Europe, Canada, or someplace like New Zeland. What crazy religions or governments sprang up there. What would happen if the Brotherhood started to go there? All questions we probably won't ever know. Instead Fallout 4 will more than likely be someplace like LA or Seattle.

I strongly disagree with this. So much of the Fallout aesthetic is deeply rooted in 50's Americana that to take it out of that socio-political context is to essentially change what makes Fallout what it is. That game relies so heavily on insider sci-fi pulp as contextualized by Cold War era paranoia that I kind of cringe when I think of what it would be like in a different country.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:13 pm

I agree with Calin re: the Fallout brand specifically. Pip-boy is American as old timey comic book advertising for X-Ray Specs.

There's totally a market for other nation's bomb paranoia though. Ever played either STALKER or the Metro games? Fascinating. They are clearly Eastern European Fallout but with a much different tone. While we were watching Duck & Cover the Ruskies were reading Tolstoy and feeling nervous about neu-Fascists among them.

I would 100% play Bomb Paranoia: Australia. In fact, INTEND to play it when it is called Mad Max.

I feel Fallout: Japan would be more like The Elder Scrolls: New Tokyo. For all the people saying that Yakuza was GTA: Kabuki-cho, it really isn't.
User

Calin Kim

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

by Calin Kim » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:36 pm

Beige wrote:I agree with Calin re: the Fallout brand specifically. Pip-boy is American as old timey comic book advertising for X-Ray Specs.

There's totally a market for other nation's bomb paranoia though. Ever played either STALKER or the Metro games? Fascinating. They are clearly Eastern European Fallout but with a much different tone. While we were watching Duck & Cover the Ruskies were reading Tolstoy and feeling nervous about neu-Fascists among them.

I would 100% play Bomb Paranoia: Australia. In fact, INTEND to play it when it is called Mad Max.

I feel Fallout: Japan would be more like The Elder Scrolls: New Tokyo. For all the people saying that Yakuza was GTA: Kabuki-cho, it really isn't.

Stop making me want things... :D
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:56 am

I want my Telltale-esque games of historical flashpoints. Imagine a Cuban Missile Crisis game, from either Khruschev or Kennedy's perspectives; the tense meetings, the constituents and bit-players. I don't much care for the marquee post-apocalyptic scenarios after the fact. It's the build-up. The early Cold War years of burgeoning nuclear strike fighters and that rugged, non-romantic utilitarianism of 50s/60s hardware.

Would take a short, savage talking heads game on Able Archer '83, too.

Other thoughts....

I'd love for the Australian setting to be used far more in games, too, if you'll pardon the quiet pride. Give me the same era in Aus. The establishment of the secretive US radar bases like Pine Gap and North West Cape. Hell, I just want my Cold War paranoia fused with classic paranormal gear like UFOs, strange beings seen on rocket ranges. Give me strange mysteries like the Taman Shud case, or the creepiness of the Isdal Woman.

Majestic Nights, at least the first episode, disappointed me no end because it felt hamstrung by its isometric design. I want to sift through photos and do exactly what The X-Files Game and Spycraft: The Great Game did all those years ago.

Such rich stuff to play with. Why we don't get it in games is outrageous.
User

Calin Kim

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

by Calin Kim » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:00 pm

Alex Connolly wrote:I want my Telltale-esque games of historical flashpoints. Imagine a Cuban Missile Crisis game, from either Khruschev or Kennedy's perspectives; the tense meetings, the constituents and bit-players. I don't much care for the marquee post-apocalyptic scenarios after the fact. It's the build-up. The early Cold War years of burgeoning nuclear strike fighters and that rugged, non-romantic utilitarianism of 50s/60s hardware.

Would take a short, savage talking heads game on Able Archer '83, too.

Other thoughts....

I'd love for the Australian setting to be used far more in games, too, if you'll pardon the quiet pride. Give me the same era in Aus. The establishment of the secretive US radar bases like Pine Gap and North West Cape. Hell, I just want my Cold War paranoia fused with classic paranormal gear like UFOs, strange beings seen on rocket ranges. Give me strange mysteries like the Taman Shud case, or the creepiness of the Isdal Woman.

Majestic Nights, at least the first episode, disappointed me no end because it felt hamstrung by its isometric design. I want to sift through photos and do exactly what The X-Files Game and Spycraft: The Great Game did all those years ago.

Such rich stuff to play with. Why we don't get it in games is outrageous.

Australia is such a great location for games, especially those of the "explore weird stuff" variety. Even excepting the fact that Australia is home to some of the most diverse and interesting (and terrifying) flora and fauna in the world, there are huge expanses of nothing, which is always good for pulp mystery and adventure. Giant venomous snakes that have plans for world domination? I'd buy it.

Pretty sure that ancient aliens came and worshipped serpents in Australia. It is seriously the only explanation for some of these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_taipan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_snake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthophis (seriously love this snake. super beautiful)