Off-topic chat. Kick back and relax with a whiskey and a cigar as we chew the fat about anything and everything other than games.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: Going dark: A week-long experiment

by Angry Jedi » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:49 am

Well, into my third day of this so far and I must say it's going swimmingly. While I miss talking to some people, it's so much more peaceful.

Know what I really don't miss? Being at the beck and call of notifications. Without notifications bugging me for attention every few minutes, life is so much more pleasant, and I can feel those compulsive urges to pick my phone up every ten seconds gradually slipping away; now I am the one in control, and I will check if anyone has got in touch with me at my convenience, no-one else's.

Apologies if this means you send me a chat message and I don't reply for six hours. :)
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:14 pm

As anybody who's tried to contact me on the weekend knows, my normal MO is to leave the phone on the cradle on the kitchen counter and not check it between the hours of 5pm Friday and 9am Monday. This is a flexible rule for the most part, but it serves to illustrate my relationship with social media.

I like my interactions with humans on the Internet to resemble Frozen Synapse. You log in, you takes your turn with people, you come back when you're ready to check in. During the workday I tend to have my personal Google notifications open in another window, which means services that reach me via email still get attention (Facebook) and some RSS stuff like the squad. Otherwise, offline.

I dabbled in twooter but that romance died fairly quickly. It's always interesting to see up-to-the-minute accounts of what is happening in people's lives, but that paradigm only works if everybody you know already twoots constantly. My old-ass friends have better things to do with their lives -- if by "better" you mean "hanging out playing board games in a face to face way"

Honestly I find social media to be like focusing on a stock ticker. You're paralyzed and immobalized until you look away -- which is difficult since there is no conclusion. RSS is my speed. Consume what you want, when you want.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:26 pm

Well, a week has passed. I opened Twitter earlier, realised I didn't care any more and closed it down. I didn't even feel like I wanted to open Facebook.

I guess that answers that, then.

I'll keep both accounts open for now -- Twitter to broadcast my blog posts and Facebook because it's occasionally useful for logging quickly into certain sites -- but I think my time with both of those sites may have come to an end, at least for now.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:40 pm

*raps table*

Good show.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Well, life is too short to invest in things that may inadvertently shorten it, like stressful things you have no obligation to look at. You've also seemed more content since. :)
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:43 pm

You're not the first person to say that. I take that as a sign I'm doing the right thing.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:07 pm

I've officially left the ol' FB. After realising I was only on there for family, and the interaction was limited to non-existent as is, it was time. Refreshing.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:32 pm

Good show, sir! I have kept my FB open for now, but haven't actually been on the site for weeks now. Twitter I'm missing a little more, though I'm not sure it's worth the stress.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:49 pm

I deleted Tweetbot yesterday, and thus lost all my mute toggles. Scrolled through web twitter today and just couldn't be bothered picking through the junk mail.

Some people REALLY need to get a Tumblr or something, because there's nothing worse than a 10+ tweet string of soapboxing, outside of Ebola vectoring a platonic group cuddle at Genevieve's house. Even then, I'd take my chances at the party.
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

by Teryn » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:47 pm

Haven't been on Facebook for many years, now. Joined because of pressure from new (in college) friends who wanted to get in touch, quickly didn't end up keeping in touch with said friends (through no fault of my own), and the privacy settings kept changing annoyingly.

Also, family connections came in two flavours: busy and non-existent. It sucked when your favourite relatives were the latter and not the former. Maybe they knew from the start they'd been co-opted into something faddish, and whoever didn't "get" it or find a group of interesting peers, didn't participate.

Then there's the whole idea of "friends". It was really annoying to me from the start. At least G+ lets you specify a more appropriate word for your various groups. Yes, it's probably rude to some when I called people "Acquaintances" on G+, but at least it's not lying outright by calling them a "Friend".

Don't do much on G+ either anymore. It was nice for a time, but FB-style social media is not my cup of tea. Too much pressure to participate and too much pressure to "keep up" with everything. If you're connected to even one particularly chatty person, you may be busy trying to play catch up with them over an hour every day. Some people just habitually post from their smartphones, so the only time they're not posting something is when they're sleeping or in the bathroom (maybe).

At least on a forum with multiple people from multiple timezones, a certain amount of "lag" is expected between new posts. Twitter only takes me 30-45 minutes to go through at the worst, won't Follow someone extremely chatty (10+ tweets a day), even if they're really interesting to me as a person.

It isn't lack of liking a person, it's more want for sanity and time for other things in the day. Er, sorry for the long post, had more thoughts on this than I'd expected.
PreviousNext