Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None

by asatiir » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Friend (on steam voice chat): Recommend me a game to play, I'm bored.
Me: I'm not sure you'll like them...
Friend: I'm really bored I might give something a try.
Me: Alright... *opens up library* Let's see.... *starts from A* I've got Agatha Christie's
Friend: ... You and your games... I give up.
Me: But I just started!

I have a habit of playing some oddball, early-mid 2000s, lesser well known point and click adventures with weird dated graphics. Agatha Christie had a few of her famous mystery novels turned into a games, from the collection I've only played And Then There Were None. It's a little long and in some bits repetitive, but there's a certain charm to the period's dialogue and ugly graphics (which I'm sure were pretty dated at the time also). I personally haven't read the actual story, but have seen several forms of it in audio and video form but I can tell who made the game were pretty passionate of the source material, and did a pretty good job of branching the story and make it more palatable in game form. If you get the perfect ending (which saves as many of the survivors as possible) you can find the "real ending" as an easter egg.

Sadly the developer went under and the game on steam is only available to those who purchased it at the time they were around, but if you liked Danganronpa (which I am told is inspired by And Then There Were None), it's worth a look.
no avatar
User

iscariot83

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Favorite Genres

FPS, simulation, indie platformer-type things

Now Playing

Making a game called Super Rad Raygun -but occasional breaks for Gunpoint :)

Re: Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None

by iscariot83 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Oh wow - I was just reading up on this novel yesterday.

I had old family guy episodes streaming in the background yesterday, and one of the ones that came up was "And Then There Were Fewer," which is a parody of that super traditional 'ten dinner party guests locked in a mansion' setup - I got curious and started looking up TV tropes and other parodies and references, and it turns out that this novel is pretty much the origin of everything - Sherlock Holmes, Clue (game and movie), Rocky Horror, Alien 3, and countless other genre movies, references, and direct parodies all stem from this original story.

So yeah - I may have to check this out :)