Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...

Musou Zelda

User

BiscuitSpace

Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Rapid City, South Dakota

Favorite Genres

platformers, RPGs, retro and party games

Musou Zelda

by BiscuitSpace » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:38 pm

I've been sitting on the fence about Hyrule Warriors for so long my ass is sore.

On one hand I am an unabashed Zelda fan through and through, but on the other I've heard lots of polarizing chatter about the Warriors series. I like the idea of a more action-oriented jaunt for Link and company, and a lot of the character reveals/trailers did a lot to pique my interest. Then I'd second guess my enthusiasm as I worry that there's a lot of reason there's dissent towards Warriors games and their depth.

After watching the latest Nintendo Direct, I've decided to hop of that fence and give it a shot. It looks as if there's enough to do that Koei (hopefully under Nintendo's supervision) has made something worth my hard-earned money. The gratuitous fan service helps, but the adventure mode where you travel across the original Zelda map and complete various missions on each screen to proceed looks neat and the amalgamation of various game worlds sure is appealing. I could do without the retailer specific DLC, but I digress.

What are your thoughts? Am I unduly hard on the Warriors series? Will I be pleasantly surprised?
Decide what to be and go be it - The Avett Brothers
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: Musou Zelda

by Angry Jedi » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:58 pm

The dissent surrounding Warriors/Musou games is mostly from people who have never played them. They have a lot more depth and interesting things going on in them than people give them credit for, and they're a hell of a lot of fun for when you just want to hack and slash your way through hundreds of dudes at a time.

I haven't really been a big Zelda guy for years now, but I'll be picking up Hyrule Warriors. Those two series seem like an ideal -- if unexpected -- fit for one another.

I'm off out in a bit, but more detailed Musou thoughts to follow.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:39 pm

Musou games are a rather deft divergent branch the sidescrolling beat 'em up. And yeah, plenty of fun has been squeezed out of them over the years. Played the original fighting game (wouldn't mind another, to be frank) and a good few of the mainline and spin-off series (Warriors Orochi and the Strikeforce games).

Lots of cool things under the hood, especially if you like weapon development.

But as someone who doesn't really have much of a history with Zelda, I can't comment on the fit. Sure? I guess? Hacking and slashing and overblown move-sets are there, and at least this is guaranteed to have slightly more aesthetically-pleasing maps. Musou games, Strikeforce excluded, always seemed to require barren levels to accommodate the polygonal horde.

More from Pete.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:03 am

The Zelda layer just feels wierd on this game. Fan service be damned, I like my Zelda games to be Zelda games. But if ppl dig it I'm all for its existence.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:15 am

Realised I never responded to this a while back as promised. Okay! Let's do this.

So, Musou games. Warriors games. Whatever you want to call them.

On their most simple level, they are satisfying games about wielding some implement of sharp or blunt melee weaponry and then literally cutting a path through thousands of dudes. Your "KO" count (no-one dies in Musou games, until the story dictates that they do) is usually in the triple-digits and occasionally even extends into the quadruple-digits, and there's a real, genuine feeling of power as you hack and slash your way through all this disposable fodder.

And yet. And yet there's more to it. While you can get some basic thrills out of a Musou game by simply button mashing and hoping for the best, you'll have better results if you take the time to learn each character's skills. Said skills tend to involve combinations of the weak and strong attack buttons to trigger special combos, and each character has at least one Musou attack with which they can inflict some sort of devastating punishment on everyone near them. Every character is unique -- each wields a different weapon, for starters, and each has their own strengths and weaknesses -- and you can further customise them by acquiring equipment for them, as well as short-lived arcade-style temporary bonuses you'll pick up around the battlefield.

And yet there's more still than that. A "battle" in a Musou game typically isn't just a case of killing everything as quickly as possible. In fact, in most cases it's more akin to playing the role of a powerful unit in a real-time strategy game, under the command of your superiors. An overview map shows the whole battlefield, including where conflicts are arising between grunts and officers, and you're generally tasked with achieving various objectives over the course of the conflict. Notably, these objectives can often be failed without compromising the overall mission -- you'll just have to adapt to the situation and deal with the consequences. Fail to cut off the enemy's supply lines, for example, and you might have to deal with reinforcements you'd otherwise have been able to avoid; fail to deal with enemy archers and your forces might find themselves pinned down, unable to proceed. And it goes both ways, too; in several missions, you have the opportunity to set up ambushes for enemies, with the outcome of the ambush dependent on how well you performed during the setup phase. Each battle, while it generally has a clear beginning, middle and end, often has a pleasing amount of emergent narrative along the way depending on your actions. There's generally nothing stopping you charging in and going straight for the main objective, but you'll usually find your life a whole lot easier if you clear the way for backup, too.

The Zelda layer does initially seem a bit weird, but on reflection I feel like it's a good fit. While their antagonists often have designs on the world, battles in Zelda games are typically quite small-scale affairs. I can see Link and co. fighting their way through massive hordes of enemies being rather satisfying -- I'm certainly a lot more interested in this game than I have been any other Zelda-branded title in recent memory.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm not a fan of Dynasty Warriors, but the heavy presence of Twilight Princess characters sure makes me curious.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:12 pm

I honestly have no idea what to make of something like Hyrule Warriors. Big in Japan, I guess.

I own a WiiU now, so it is within my purview... but no enthusiasm is forthcoming. I watched Pete play some Dynasty Warriors when I was over in the UK. It was a certainly a thing. Looks like Saturday Afternoon costume drama penned by Chinese fanfic writers combined with Wii Bowling. I've never understood the specifically Chinese taste in either movies or video games. I guess now that I am going down the Monster Hunter hole I'll have some context for comment.