Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: Pondering Possible "Main Missions"

by Angry Jedi » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:22 pm

asatiir wrote:I do like the list mentioned here and I do agree with a lot of the games mentioned here. Though I think Alpha Protocol should be a focus since you guys were talking about that mission since the G+ community.

If I'm to add a few games to this list I'd recommend:
- To the Moon (fairly short and a lovely story told in RPG Maker)
- Waxworks (Not related to the movie of the same name, while not perfect a very interesting horror dungeon crawler RPG with a few point and click adventure puzzles)
- I would make the Euro Truck Simulator mission be more about the entire "serious simulator" genre and add Farming Simulator which I'm sure Alex Connolly and I would have a few stories to share about.

edit: I think the PSVita deserves its own squad mission.

These are all great suggestions. Props for remembering Waxworks -- I played that when I was young enough for its gory scenes to traumatise me. Would be interested to revisit it, and it's available on GOG.com. That's the one where you jump through time to Ancient Egypt, Jack the Ripper-era London and some other places, right?

Agreed on the "Simulator" thing. Scope for discussion about the dual use of the word "simulator" these days, too -- the extreme seriousness of Serious Simulators, and its jokey usage in titles like Goat Simulator and Surgeon Simulator. Also an opportunity for me to tell lots of old flight simulator stories from the 16-bit era.

And yes. PSVita mission of some description, for sure.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Okay, I've got one. And I think it's very timely.

3MA did a great retrospective on The Last Express, on account of this month being the centenary of the outbreak of World War One. It's a time and theme that is rarely explored in gaming, but nobody can deny how undeniably SoS Jordan Mechner's real-time adventure game is.

You can find it on GoG, Steam, Android, iOS and elsewhere. It's cheap, unique and utterly alone in its depiction of an old world making way for one anew.
no avatar
User

iscariot83

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:16 pm

Favorite Genres

FPS, simulation, indie platformer-type things

Now Playing

Making a game called Super Rad Raygun -but occasional breaks for Gunpoint :)

by iscariot83 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:18 am

You know, one thing I don't know if we ever really got around to was a multiplayer group for weird, small games that don't have huge player bases - Things like The Ship, or Frozen Synapse (though some of you got into that one a while back I think.) I'm sure there's lots of other good, small, multiplayer games that are hard to put a game together for, and I'd be interested to hear if anybody else has some small game they've been dying to get a group together and try :)
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:55 pm

iscariot83 wrote:You know, one thing I don't know if we ever really got around to was a multiplayer group for weird, small games that don't have huge player bases - Things like The Ship, or Frozen Synapse (though some of you got into that one a while back I think.) I'm sure there's lots of other good, small, multiplayer games that are hard to put a game together for, and I'd be interested to hear if anybody else has some small game they've been dying to get a group together and try :)

I'd be for that. A few of us played Frozen Synapse a while back, and I know there are several people who want to play NeoTokyo at some point. I really enjoyed The Ship, too; that would be fun to have a game or two of.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:38 pm

I will be flogging La-Mulana on this board until we do it official justice in some form.

Also, I'm back from 3 weeks in Wales. Hi to all the squaddies old and new who signed up while I was away!
User

Shingro

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:31 am

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, Strategy, sims, VNs, Eroge.

Now Playing

Demon Gaze

by Shingro » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:52 pm

Oh, another one I think would be really amazing is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It has a lot to recommend it in the sort of "Lesser known" deus ex and each clan would let us approach the game with a variety of experiences.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:43 pm

Shingro wrote:Oh, another one I think would be really amazing is Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It has a lot to recommend it in the sort of "Lesser known" deus ex and each clan would let us approach the game with a variety of experiences.

Yep, as noted in the OP, Bloodlines is one that we've had on the back burner for some time now. It might be time!

Okay, we're getting some good suggestions here. I'll mull them over and throw up a poll with some options shortly, then we can set a timeframe to get cracking on this.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 pm

The Last Express seems a natural fit for a rebirth of the Squadcast. Also, I've never played it. Great suggestion Alex.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Beige wrote:The Last Express seems a natural fit for a rebirth of the Squadcast. Also, I've never played it. Great suggestion Alex.

I'd be honoured if it was considered. Great game, still holds up, rather unconventional and, as Chris Remo put it, totally of its time and never to be repeated.
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:25 am

IF I may, I'll add my 2 cents as the complete utter n00blet:

I support an Alpha Protocol mission, I've played the game twice and I know there is enough meat in there for people to talk about all the things this game gets right (It's use of intel dossiers to give you an edge in some coversations for example) versus what it did wrong (The utter, complete generic-ness that I totally blame on Sega as the publisher)

Vampire: the Maskerade - Bloodlines: simply cause I haven't played it and it would be interesting to play it alongside others to have a discussion (I am also biased as a guy who likes WoD)

To The Moon: simply cause it's a very unique and interesting story.

Saya No Uta: Cause if someone can survive it's special brand of mental scaring, it's the squadron.

Binary Domain: I agree with Angry Jedi, it's really underappreciated and deserves a playthrough.

I also wanna say Long Live the Queen, but that might be better grouped with some other games, cause due to it's roots as a rogue-like there is not really a lot of meat to really sink our metaphorical teeth into, maybe as a side mission?
PreviousNext