Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Pondering Possible "Main Missions"

by Angry Jedi » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:36 pm

While we don't live in the same world as when the Squad launched -- there are far more games being released these days than there were back then -- I feel with the return to our forum roots we should also consider a stronger attempt to kick it old school and do a group playthrough of something together, perhaps with an eventual view to making that "main mission" a podcast. (There's nothing stopping those of us who are already familiar with a particular game getting together and doing a podcast without expecting everyone else to play through it together, of course -- I'm keen to do an Ar Tonelico podcast with Shingro at some point, even if no-one else plays it -- but it's good to have some audience participation.)

So I thought I'd throw it open to you guys. We've had some interesting stuff posted in the Squad Missions forum to date, but has anything tickled your fancy as something we could play through together in a semi-organised manner, discuss on a thread and then do a podcast about? (I'm also thinking a return to our old format of podcasts, where we have a rotating cast according to who played or is knowledgeable about the game would be good, too -- that will also take care of our perpetual scheduling issues, as we won't have to rely on the same people every time.)

Ideal "main mission" fodder will be stuff that doesn't take too long to finish -- while I love me some lengthy RPGs personally, they're not entirely practical for a "book club" type affair, unless we run that as a long-term project alongside something else -- and which is reasonably easy to acquire both from a hardware and software perspective. Alternatively, stuff that I describe as "perpetual" or "endless" can also provoke interesting discussion -- games that don't have a set "end point" but which can be dipped into in as much or as little detail as you desire.

Possibilities in the former (short-form) category that I've played or come across recently include:

- Moebius: Empire Rising (Jane Jensen's latest)
- Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller (episodic adventure with involvement from Jane Jensen)
- Gabriel Knight (we've been saying we should do this for ages, but never have)
- Saya no Uta (fucked-up visual novel that is nonetheless ripe for unfiltered discussion a la Katawa Shoujo)
- Broken Sword 5 (surely needs no introduction, but appears to have passed largely unnoticed by most of the games press)
- Cherry Tree High Comedy Club (noteworthy for being translated by the same guys as Ace Attorney)
- Magical Diary (interesting Harry Potter sim with some surprisingly deep social commentary through allegory)
- Long Live the Queen (interesting example of a "life sim")
- Binary Domain (one of the most underappreciated games of the last generation)

Slightly longer (but not excessively so) stuff that we've been saying we should cover for a long time include:

- Alpha Protocol (still very keen to do this)
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (likewise)

"Perpetual" or "Endless" stuff worthy of discussion in some form or another:

- TrackMania (you didn't think I'd forget about this, did you?)
- Arma 3 (and its extensive array of mods)
- Euro Truck Simulator (why is this fun?)
- The Best of Source Mods

Throw some suggestions in this thread, Squad Command will try and narrow down a list of diverse candidates and, if enough people are up for it, we'll throw it open to the poll.

If you know any former Squaddies around the Internet -- I'm thinking people like Pishu et al here -- then be sure to point them in the direction of this site. It'd be good to get as many of the old crew as possible back together to do this.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Pondering Possible "Main Missions"

by Alex Connolly » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:59 am

I'd definitely be up for the following:

- Broken Sword 5
- Binary Domain
- Arma 3

...but ultimately would love to listen to anything recorded under the SoS name.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Valiant hearts is an easy recommend for something light. I'm frankly surprised Gabriel knight didn't get the full treatment, I guess I figured it happened when I wasn't looking. Totally down for that.
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:51 pm

A.I Impaired wrote:Valiant hearts is an easy recommend for something light. I'm frankly surprised Gabriel knight didn't get the full treatment, I guess I figured it happened when I wasn't looking. Totally down for that.

Gabriel Knight is actually one that's been on the Squad's list of "potentials" ever since the Squad's inception! Somehow we've never gotten to it, despite most of us having played at least Sins of the Fathers. (To my shame, I still haven't played 3 all the way to completion, however... should probably do that before someone spoils the shit out of it!)

Gabriel Knight could be a timely topic, too, what with the anniversary remake/remaster thing coming this year, too. Yes, everyone, Gabriel Knight is twenty motherfucking years old. How do you feel now?
User

BusyZombieLord

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Maine

Real Name

Lou

Favorite Genres

RPG, Adventure, and Story Driven

Now Playing

Secret of Mana, Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition for PS3, Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon for PS2

by BusyZombieLord » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:35 pm

Great list of ideas! The Gabriel Knight games feel like a perfect fit. If I remember correctly they are not super long either. I believe back in the day each one took me a an afternoon or two. The 3rd one might be a bit rough. I am not sure how much those graphics stood the test of time.

Also in the vein of Gabriel Knight, be careful about picking Cognition. I got a free copy of episode 1 at a convention a year or 2 ago. It was some rough stuff. Not really clear what to do and felt poorly written. I didn't even make it all the way though the episode because of a bug. Some of that has probably change but some one should play the first episode before making a clear choice on it being worth your time. I know I really didn't like it.

Here are a few other ideas that I think might be worth the time.

The Blackwell Series (Point and Click series from Wadjet Eye) I have played the first one and it takes about 2 or 3 hours tops. Really well written stuff.

The Harvester (Re-release on GOG and steam of an old adventure game I had never heard of before. Apparently was banned in some countries or something like that.)

Dead Space Series (After 3 got some flak it's popularity has fallen. I have enjoyed all of them)

Resident Evil 6 or Revelations (I know 6 tends to be a mixed bag but it might be fun to talk about)
User

Angry Jedi

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Angry Jedi » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:27 pm

I've played all of Cognition except the final episode and can vouch for it, hence my suggestion -- it's clunky in places, but its heart is in the right place. Takes a little while to get into, but it's worthwhile. I believe the bugs it had have been patched, too. EDIT: Besides, this sort of thing is our bread and butter! We podcasted for three hours about Pathologic, for heaven's sake. :)

Dead Space and Resident Evil are probably a bit "mainstream" for what we tended to do with "main missions" -- the general point was to highlight something slightly lesser-known that was underappreciated, overlooked or both. Revelations could be interesting, though; you don't hear many people talking about that one. Harvester and Blackwell are both solid choices.
User

Shingro

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:31 am

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, Strategy, sims, VNs, Eroge.

Now Playing

Demon Gaze

by Shingro » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:56 am

I'd be willing to roll with almost anything, Alpha protocal surprised me with how much I liked it and I'm always willing to expand some boundries.

That being said I'd also like to put in my vote for Binary Domain of the listed choices and possibly add the idea of Valkyria Chronicals. Legend has it that game's pretty good.

I'd suggest some of the Atilier Rorona games, Mana Khemia, Muramasa Rebirth (PS+!) and other adorable anime fair, but maybe me and Pete will just have to do a mini cast or side mission or something =P
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:14 pm

The thicker, more thoughtful indie games are probably ideal fodder for this. They're likely to get forgotten and they don't take too long to finish.

A game I posted a thread for here already is Betrayer.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Gabriel Knight makes a lot of sense for me. I have it on GoG, but only played an hour of it.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 pm

I do like the list mentioned here and I do agree with a lot of the games mentioned here. Though I think Alpha Protocol should be a focus since you guys were talking about that mission since the G+ community.

If I'm to add a few games to this list I'd recommend:
- To the Moon (fairly short and a lovely story told in RPG Maker)
- Waxworks (Not related to the movie of the same name, while not perfect a very interesting horror dungeon crawler RPG with a few point and click adventure puzzles)
- I would make the Euro Truck Simulator mission be more about the entire "serious simulator" genre and add Farming Simulator which I'm sure Alex Connolly and I would have a few stories to share about.

edit: I think the PSVita deserves its own squad mission.
Next