Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

Re: Pondering Possible "Main Missions"

by Teryn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:02 am

Yes, Alpha Protocol sounds good. It looks like Mass Effect speech choice branching taken to the next level in cutscenes, which is good to see. I'm also for Gabriel Knight, though I've yet to play it, just bought it in a GOG sale.

Just to add something very doable, I've just discovered The Shivah, a very short game that could probably be completed in 4 hours or so. It's off the beaten path for sure, but also with a good story and protagonist that doesn't always play by society's rules. Much food for thought for so few "messages".

Also, may I ask what methods you've used for group streaming? I've never done it before, but have no idea what hardware or software you'd use. Would it be hosting on something like the G+ sharing video chats I've seen?
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:00 am

The Shivah was, if memory serves, the subject of the very first Squadcast?

So either way, you've got your finger on the right pulse, Teryn.
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:20 pm

Alex Connolly wrote:The Shivah was, if memory serves, the subject of the very first Squadcast?

So either way, you've got your finger on the right pulse, Teryn.

Ah! Wish I could have seen it, I'm obviously new blood. :P Hm, nothing else comes to mind, because everyone's already making awesome suggestions.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:16 am

Teryn wrote:Ah! Wish I could have seen it, I'm obviously new blood. :P Hm, nothing else comes to mind, because everyone's already making awesome suggestions.

The SquadCasts are currently all offline as our new setup here apparently necessitated a complete wipe. I think I still have all the MP3s -- if I don't, then I'm sure we do between us -- so when I get the time and inclination, I'll re-upload them somewhere a bit more practical, probably Soundcloud or something. Then you can hear us talk for hours about a whole host of awesome games.
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:33 am

If you somehow are missing an episode, let me know.

I have every single one from The Shivah to Spec Ops: The Line.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:20 am

Might be worth putting the entire catalog on Archive.org, too. For future generations' education and chin-strokery.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:30 pm

I set up a SoundCloud account for the Squadcast not too long ago and have been pondering what the the next steps should be for our podcast. I too have all the episodes available right here and would love to just connect up to the audiowhatsit in the sky and stream the dream far and wide.

SoundCloud has perfect integration with everything we're doing here on the boards, comes feature complete with RSS feeds and everything -- essentially the whole shebang... but if you want more than 6 hours of uploaded audio (which is what... less than 2 episodes?) you have to give them $150 a year for the privilege.

This isn't extortionate or anything -- totally in line with value for money -- but does put the total hosting cost of the SoS at around $250 per year for bandwidth, boards and now podcasts directly out of my own wallet. I kept a pretty close eye on the bandwidth rates were when we were doing all the hosting off our own website (which I paid for) not to mention the hassle of direct FTP uploading of audio files, which can be a bugger. I am certainly leaning towards just paying the man and going with a known service hosting provider like SoundCloud. It's certainly what I would recommend to our clients at work.

I'd absolutely pay $250 for the privilege of having this community of friends in my daily life, plus unlimited archive space for audio. That said, if we drop the cash, I would also desire that we commit to some kind of broadcast schedule because... you know.

I'd love to be recording more shows and posting them to SoundCloud and I'd also love for some of the new blood we have on the boards here (longtime silent partners like Mohammed, Alex Emily, etc.) to be a part of the renewal. I know this is crazy, but the squad is (no joke) only a few years away from our 10th Anniversary.

I guess my point is:
- Who would chip in $5-10 per year to cover the costs of audio hosting in a professionally hosted way and
- Hands up if you're interested in participating as an audio presenter of some kind rather than an audio consumer.

Depending on interest it may be time to consider broadening the content we produce into more of a threaded format -- missions vs bin diving vs topical stuff or what-have you.
User

Grant Heaslip

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

by Grant Heaslip » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Beige wrote:I set up a SoundCloud account for the Squadcast not too long ago and have been pondering what the the next steps should be for our podcast. I too have all the episodes available right here and would love to just connect up to the audiowhatsit in the sky and stream the dream far and wide.

SoundCloud has perfect integration with everything we're doing here on the boards, comes feature complete with RSS feeds and everything -- essentially the whole shebang... but if you want more than 6 hours of uploaded audio (which is what... less than 2 episodes?) you have to give them $150 a year for the privilege.

This isn't extortionate or anything -- totally in line with value for money -- but does put the total hosting cost of the SoS at around $250 per year for bandwidth, boards and now podcasts directly out of my own wallet. I kept a pretty close eye on the bandwidth rates were when we were doing all the hosting off our own website (which I paid for) not to mention the hassle of direct FTP uploading of audio files, which can be a bugger. I am certainly leaning towards just paying the man and going with a known service hosting provider like SoundCloud. It's certainly what I would recommend to our clients at work. [...]

I'm new here so I'm not really familiar with your needs, but if you're just looking to put together a podcast RSS feed and the ability to host audio files that will be downloaded in relatively low volumes, you could probably make do with something way cheaper, or even free. These two articles focus on WordPress.com, Feedburner, and Archive.org (which I believe will host audio files for free if you're okay with a creative commons license, otherwise Amazon S3 is trivially cheap compared to SoundCloud). I worked on tech for student newspapers for a while, so I'm familiar with shoestring hosting :).
no avatar
User

Teryn

by Teryn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Preferably, I'd like the audio/video to be in formats that aren't proprietary, because then it would go farther towards future compatibility, regardless of what OS or money one may possess.

Also, WebRTC sounds particularly interesting, it's already widely implemented in recent versions of Firefox, Opera and Chrome.

If it isn't too much trouble, I've got some questions about how old Main Missions were done. G+ Hangouts? Live or pre-recorded? What video and audio formats were used? Thanks in advance, it would be useful and cool to know.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:25 pm

We used to prerecord via Skype, with everyone recording their own voice and then sending all the files to me to stick together. We also had a dummy account running Skype and recording the whole conversation in case someone's personal recording went awry. After that we'd release it in MP3 format via the currently down RSS feed.

Prior to the podcast, a "main mission" was simply a forum thread where everyone played through a game together over a week or two, book club style. It worked well at the time, but with the sheer volume and diversity of releases these days that's a lot harder to manage.
Previous