Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Bad Ass Game Music Thread

by Alex Connolly » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Loved this classic back in the day. Probably didn't truly fit the franchise until, what, GTA III? But still, mad memories of the grand old game. One of gaming's most audacious themes, given the era.

User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

Re: Bad Ass Game Music Thread

by Angry Jedi » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:11 pm

What a tune! Listened to that many a time on the CD player, since GTA1 had Redbook audio. I was also delighted to hear this piece make a comeback in GTA3.

While I like the licensed soundtracks of the later GTAs, I really loved the era where developers' sound departments would "fake it" in an alarmingly convincing fashion. GTA1 had an amazing soundtrack, as did Bizarre's Project Gotham precursor Metropolis Street Racer.

In fact...

At the other end of the spectrum, I was a big fan of the Akiba's Trip OP:

Remember when games having full-on songs written for them was a big deal? (FFVIII had a ton of hype for "Eyes On Me") The Japanese games biz is happily churning out original work all the time, often coupled with some top-notch animation, too.

Oh go on, then, one more; here's Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus' wonderful twiddling metal rock-out session.

Previous