Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Hope Springs Eternal - Crowdfund / Early Access Thread

by Alex Connolly » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:16 am

My impressions are up, but suffice to say, Vector Thrust is both a faithful Ace Combat homage and a ton of fun in its own right. And made by a single bloke in Portugal. Cheap and good.

Steam link.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:50 am

That looks cool, and sounds like a nicely complete-ish package already.

To my shame, I've never played an Ace Combat game, despite being a lightweight propellerhead when I was a nipper. Definitely interested in checking this out sometime.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:08 am

I don't know if you've still got a PS2 around, Pete (but you probably do, given you're Pete). If you do, I'd recommend checking out Ace Combat 4 or 5. They're fantastic arcade dogfighters, but moreover - especially 5 - they've got a good sense of personality. Sure, it's just aircraft and speed and waiting for that missile lock chime, but when you've got the quality of a Western-dub anime cast providing the voice work, they really shine.

Alternatively, the 2 PSP titles were awesome little pocket Ace Combat games. Few concessions made.

EDIT: I suppose, in a nutshell, the Ace Combat games feel like Japan's late answer to Wing Commander. [air]Space Operas, if you'll allow a bit of smugness on my part.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:29 am

I saw there was an Ace Combat game on Vita a while back -- it appears to be a port of one of the PSP games. Know anything about it?
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:53 am

I loved Ace Combat X on PSP - the first one - and it was terrific. Even got into the ad-hoc multiplayer with friends. Joint Assault was the lesser of the two, and the first Ace Combat to be set in the real world. Didn't have much of the same soap opera-esque drama of the other games, but it was cool to have campaign co-op.

Would recommend X over Joint Assault, but both give a good taste of the series on different levels.
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:45 pm

Christ Alex, you just had to hit me with Ace Combat, I love that series, I played most of them to death (Yes, even Assault Horizon)

Personal Favorite was Ace Combat Zero, simply cause it's literally built around dogfight dueling.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:52 pm

Assault Horizon intrigues. I played the demo and kinda got what it was going for, but never picked up the full version.

Worth a shot?
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:36 am

I find it to be the weakest Ace Combat game, gameplay-wise? the game is solid, it's still has that feel of slightly-sim-mixed-with-arcade that Ace Combat has mastered, the zoom-in dogfighting mode is interesting, even if the execution leaves a few things out for the sake of theathricality.

The big problem this game has is that it was made during that period of time that Japan was making games trying to appeal to the west and missing the point along the way, the resulting plot becomes half Call of Duty, half cheap Tom Clancy wannabe novel you can find at your local CVS/Wallgreens. this also applies to the soundtrack, it's filled with rock guitars most of the time, the end result of that is debatable on whether it was effective or just a waste, even so, some tracks are salvageable, like White Devil

The game does have some nice sequences, for example, there is a mission where you're handed a B1 Spirit, you're doing a bombing run and nothing else. Your squadmates fly cover for you while you have to keep the plane steady in order to accurately hit your targets while being peppered with flak and AA, IMO one of the best missions in the game.

If you're still intrigued, I say wait till the next Steam sale and pick it up for cheap, I had fun with the game despite it's shortcomings and tacky plot, so if you can pick it up for about $10 and play it for a few nights you'll get your moneys worth.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Raven2785 wrote:*snip*

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, it's interesting...we saw Ubisoft try and pull an Ace Combat with HAWX, and they weren't actually terrible games. But Namco really did seem to push that bizarre 'Make it Western' angle with Assault Horizon.

I'll have to rely on outside sources to let me know when the game goes on sale. I have a lot of region-locking/restrictions on Steam - having a registered Aus account, but living where I do. Things like Capcom, SEGA, Namco games etc., always come up with "Not Available In Your Region". Still keen to play it, just for curiosity's sake.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:10 pm

This is funny. Piranha Games, the people behind the mess that was MWO (I'm still bummed) and 500 dollar golden mech skins, has a new crowdfundraiser going on for a space combat game.

69 backers so far. Yeah, I wouldn't give them money either.

Alex Connolly wrote:My impressions are up, but suffice to say, Vector Thrust is both a faithful Ace Combat homage and a ton of fun in its own right. And made by a single bloke in Portugal. Cheap and good.

I'd play that game if it was WW2 dogfighting. Vector Props?
PreviousNext