Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

Wait what, Star Control is owned by Stardock?

by Bowley » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:24 pm

I completely missed this news. I don't have great faith in Stardock games.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/stardock-ceo-reveals-details-about-new-star-control-title-in-development/.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: Wait what, Star Control is owned by Stardock?

by Angry Jedi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Huh, I missed this, too.

I thought Stardock were all right? What have they done?
User

Bowley

Now Playing

by Bowley » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Galactic Civilizations - A lot of people like it, but I think it's bland, has boring, almost non existent, sound design.
    Sins of a Solar Empire - Their best game, but they only published it. SoaSE was developed by Ironclad Games.
    The Political Machine - Hate the look of it.
    Elemental: War of Magic - Horrible, unfinished mess at launch, made good on fixing it over time, don't know if it ever ended up as advertised.
    Elemental: War of Magic - Another entry for its uninspiringly bad concept art. http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/elemental_war_of_magic_conceptart_EeZW0.jpg
    Demigod - Gas Powered developed. Average early MOBA, multiplayer was crippled for a while after launch due to bad decisions, Gamestop early release, rampant piracy.
    Impulse - Sold it to Gamestop, nuff said.
That's why I'm hesitant to be excited. Brad Wardell's heart seems to be in the right place, but I don't like the decisions they make, and more importantly, I don't think that company has the chops to do Star Control justice. If they are just the publisher, maybe there's a chance.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:36 pm

GalCiv is a classic example of system upon system, but no heart. Hideously boring combat system and turgid late-game crawl. Dread Lords/Twilight of the Arnor were good, but when your competition is Masters of Orion III, I think you win adoration by default.

Elemental got its Final Fantasy XIII reboot in Fallen Enchantress/Legendary Heroes, but the mea culpa was akin to a year's worth Sword of the Stars 2 patches. Nobody feels like driving a car bent back into shape after an accident. It could have been huge, too. Loved the art style.

I cherished Demigod, however. Still do. Amazing visual design, great characters, one of the better late-game experiences in a genre that is, for my money, so utterly shit. This was the best post-mortem interview on Demigod out there. How I wish we were all playing the descendants of that, instead of Elf Jank 2014 or Treant v2.1. SO BORING.

Brad Wardell has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. It might have been the damage control he was running when Elemental was shat out, but I suppose you've got to tow your own line.
User

Bowley

Now Playing

by Bowley » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:00 pm

Alex, you're like the G'kar to my Garibaldi.

I'll give you Demigod, it had a refreshing aesthetic, worth the 7 dollars I spent to play offline for a few hours, buuuuut it was still a MOBA. :|
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Rest in peace, Andreas Katsulas. But the highest compliment paid, dear Bowls.

Bloody MOBAs. Were it not their deft use of the F2P model - arguably the medium's best - we'd be enjoying something else in the limelight, I swear. Oh, the glorious what ifs.