Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...

Quest for Infamy

User

BusyZombieLord

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Maine

Real Name

Lou

Favorite Genres

RPG, Adventure, and Story Driven

Now Playing

Secret of Mana, Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition for PS3, Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon for PS2

Quest for Infamy

by BusyZombieLord » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:25 am

I will make this quick. I am on my way to work but I thought you should all know that Quest for Infamy hit the GOG store today. I believe a steam version should show up later today. For those of you that don't know, Quest for Infamy is a spiritual successor to the Quest for Glory series that you all so wonderfully dissected way back. Exception being your more of an anti-hero from what I have seen. It looks really interesting if Quest for Glory was your thing. Anyways, I am going to grab it tonight and will report my opinions back soon.

Oh! and here is the link on GOG. http://www.gog.com/game/quest_for_infamy
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Re: Quest for Infamy

by Beige » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Quest for Infamy huh? Interesting -- will most likely check this one out, since I loved Heroine's Quest so much. Quest for Glory homages seem to be the thing this year.

For those of you who haven't played Heroine's Quest and want to make it a double header, check it out: http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm HQ is essentially just what Quest for Glory V should always have been - screw Dragon Fire. Awesome MIDI music, engaging puzzles and combat, Norse mythology. It's all there.

I've floated the idea of doing a mission on it before. Now that we have the new boards, I see no reason not to do it. Someone do the playthrough where you finish the game as a thief without killing a single enemy. It's possible!
User

BusyZombieLord

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Maine

Real Name

Lou

Favorite Genres

RPG, Adventure, and Story Driven

Now Playing

Secret of Mana, Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition for PS3, Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon for PS2

Re: Quest for Infamy

by BusyZombieLord » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:59 am

I am only about half way through Act 1 as a rogue and really enjoying this one. So far the puzzles are not too hard. I have gotten stuck twice but both times were not about the puzzle. They were both about finding the item I figured out i would need to solve the puzzle. The writing is fairly clever and the main character has some great dialog. I have loved Heroine's quest too and I believe the some of the same team helped with this one.

My only point of contention so far is that the combat is not enjoyable. Combat in Quest for Glory was never my favorite but usually when you died in it, it felt like your fault. Infamy use a turn based system that feels more like a JRPG. I thought I would love it since I do love me some JRPGs. That has definitely not been the case. You start out with a 50% chance to hit your enemies. It is actually listed on your character sheet. I have played long enough to get better gear and build some skill. I know still only hit at a 60% chance.

Also on a side note and something that surprised me. I have a friend that did some VO work for this game. Should you play and meet Hummel the bridge keeper, that is voiced by my friend Jessie.