Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

System Shock 1 enhanced edition on GOG

by A.I Impaired » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:17 pm

Yes, system shock fan here. You all hear about Irrational games trend setting sequel, but who can say they have had at the original game from 94?

http://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_enhanced_edition

I think its main barrier of entry was its original controls, which have been retooled in this official release
You can look at it as ahead of its time, as well as a petri dish of ideas that have either gone on to form other games, or ones that make this game its own unique beast. This is where the Immersive RPG/FPS was trying to move beyond Ultima Underworld and be something new, and it feels rough and experimental compared to what has come since. However, the game did create a kind of happy sandbox that adjusts based on different difficulty sliders you choose at the beginning of the game. Like puzzles? Puzzles everywhere! Hate combat? Walk in the park. What density of mission tasks would you like?

While I find System Shock 2 to be a tighter more elegant game, the original feels a lot more open to experimentation and exploration. There is such a wide variety of items with different effects, you might loose track of it all. There are far more secret passages, and weirdly designed rooms that require keen investigation. The gameplay objectives are also quite loosely presented, and require similar investigation, and exploration in order to progress. The representation of virtual reality is a little more robust, floating around wireframe spaces collecting and destroying software. Very 90's.

I suggest those who haven't experienced this game, who may also fancy cyberpunk and/or RPGs (or rather immersive simulators), to check it.

Last edited by A.I Impaired on Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: System Shock 1 enhanced edition on GOG

by Angry Jedi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:23 pm

I played through the original before I gave 2 a go for the first time, for context. Even with the horrible Ultima Underworld controls, it was an amazing experience; one of the best survival horror games I've played. (Because don't let anyone tell you it's an RPG like its sequel; it is a survival horror first and foremost, complete with crawling around in the dark and severely limited resources.)

I actually think I liked the first one a bit more than 2; 2 is a fabulous game, for sure, but there was just something about the original that made it really special for me. I can highly recommend giving it a shot if you have the chance.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Angry Jedi wrote: don't let anyone tell you it's an RPG like its sequel; it is a survival horror first and foremost, complete with crawling around in the dark and severely limited resources.

I can get behind that actually, RPG sometimes can be used in ways that stretch the definition, Survival Horror does fit pretty well. I would say on the horror aspect, the sequel creeped me out slightly more (especially those midwives), but in terms of gameplay ... this one can strain your resource management quite heavily especially with higher difficulty. Resorting back to a led pipe seems like a desperate situation against many enemies. The enemies do seem deadlier, and less susceptible to strafing around them and beating their backs as in SS2... where most enemies could be dealt with if you were quick on your feet, here their flat 2d models can just turn to face you and screw you up.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:13 am

Now if we can get Ultima Underworld Enhanced Edition with not-ancient controls we'll be in business.

I have a feeling I'll be down with this game since I was able to enjoy UU1 (and plan to return to it) even with its dated controls, and immensely enjoy System Shock 2. But, I will wait. My new policy of not buying games until I'm actually ready to play them (or they're on an unusually low sale) has stemmed the growth of my backlog somewhat. Knowing my luck by the time I do get around to this it'll be on Steam or something.

A.I Impaired wrote:
Angry Jedi wrote: don't let anyone tell you it's an RPG like its sequel; it is a survival horror first and foremost, complete with crawling around in the dark and severely limited resources.

I can get behind that actually, RPG sometimes can be used in ways that stretch the definition, Survival Horror does fit pretty well. I would say on the horror aspect, the sequel creeped me out slightly more (especially those midwives), but in terms of gameplay ... this one can strain your resource management quite heavily especially with higher difficulty. Resorting back to a led pipe seems like a desperate situation against many enemies. The enemies do seem deadlier, and less susceptible to strafing around them and beating their backs as in SS2... where most enemies could be dealt with if you were quick on your feet, here their flat 2d models can just turn to face you and screw you up.

SS2 has me convinced a Resident Evil RPG would indeed be possible. Honestly, immersive sims like that already contain all the base elements of PlayStation-style survival horror games.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:23 am

I use to be so terrified of this game as a kid, I really want to get back to play it.