Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

Good Reads - Of Video Games and Fancy Book Learnin'

by Calin Kim » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:03 pm

I have been thinking of starting this thread for a hell of a long time, and I think that today is the day. Not only do I have the perfect thing to kick it all off, but there is just so much good writing about games these days not to start this thing up. So, without further ado, welcome to the thread you come to when you want to read some cool stuff that's been written about games or when you have found a good read about games. I think we can probably define what should go here pretty broadly since we all have diverse interests, but I will say anything related to video games fits here. If it's about people who play games, game music, game art, whatever it can go here.

To start this thing off, I was browsing my Twitter feed today and came across a few people posting this article about Soviet era arcade games. It's a really interesting look into a culture that almost never gets discussed in mainstream games coverage: http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/th ... cade-games
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Good Reads - Of Video Games and Fancy Book Learnin'

by Alex Connolly » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:49 am

Fascinating article, sir. What a great read. Absolutely Soviet vending machines, too! Look like engine cowlings from armoured personnel carriers.
User

Calin Kim

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

by Calin Kim » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:35 pm

Yeah, I was really struck by the fact that the arcade cabinets themselves are about twice the weight of an equivalent US or Japanese cabinet because the USSR did not have the same tools at their disposal.
User

Calin Kim

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

by Calin Kim » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:06 pm

I knew that we would eventually get an article on how exactly GOG does what they do, and now we do. Thoroughly fascinating read: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09 ... ideogames/
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:15 pm

A fun comparative read on dinosaur designs in ARK, versus their real-[Lost] world counterparts. Good stuff if you're into seeing where we're at in contemporary dinosaur depiction and scientific accuracy.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09 ... -accuracy/
User

Calin Kim

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

by Calin Kim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:25 am

They're doing a story bundle that has a couple of things I can vouch for.

Mona is Leigh Alexander's shot at Silent Hill 2 short fiction. It's moody and wistful in the way that all of her best writing is.

Ashly Burch and her brother's book on Metal Gear Solid is also very readable. A lot of times with the books in this series, the writers are so in love with the games that they perhaps don't spend quite as much time thinking about the flaws. That is not the case here. It's clear that they love the game, but they're also willing to write intelligently about its flaws. It's a good read and topical given that a few of us are playing through the series at the moment.

https://storybundle.com/games