Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Re: Where would you start someone off on traditional CRPGs?

by Beige » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Somebody mentioned online that Shenmue is famous as being the first game where you could open a drawer and find stuff inside it, but I feel like Ultima was doing that 10 years earlier.

Isn't Ultima's success really based on that whole idea of just ramming around opening drawers everywhere?
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:53 pm

Beige wrote:Somebody mentioned online that Shenmue is famous as being the first game where you could open a drawer and find stuff inside it, but I feel like Ultima was doing that 10 years earlier.

Isn't Ultima's success really based on that whole idea of just ramming around opening drawers everywhere?

Like I tried to describe to you before, Shenmue stood out at the time and is beloved today because it's one of the first (or first big) attempts to do the whole immersive sim thing in a console game. You gotta remember: the people saying those things are usually people who have little-to-now knowledge of gaming accomplishments and firsts outside of consoles post-1985.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:46 pm

Beige wrote:Somebody mentioned online that Shenmue is famous as being the first game where you could open a drawer and find stuff inside it, but I feel like Ultima was doing that 10 years earlier.

Ultima VI onward definitely rendered a world full of objects, similar to how in Skyrim some people go around collecting nothing but cheese and filling rooms with cheese... Ultima you could probably do the same thing. Of course doing this in a 3D world and doing this in a 2D world are markedly different.
Previous