Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Carpe Fulgur's new game is batshit insane

by Angry Jedi » Fri May 08, 2015 8:22 pm

Now that Carpe Fulgur (Recettear, Chantelise, Fortune Summoners) is done with its epic work on Trails in the Sky: Second Chapter (a job that, from the sounds of things, brought poor Andrew Dice right to the brink of suicide) they've revealed their new game: This Starry Midnight We Make, which is out on the 25th of May. There's a demo available now on Steam. I played it for an hour and a half. Here is what happened.

It is a game in which you influence people's lives by fiddling around with stellar constellations by dropping rocks into a pond and then, through a considerable degree of non-hand-holdy experimentation, evolve them into various different forms according to objectives you're given. The game begins with you simply having to discover how to create different types of stars and nebulae, then later moves on to constellations, which require specific combinations of stars to be created, often using multiple elements. The demo ends at this point, but there's the implication that the constellations you create are then later used as "tools" to further manipulate things to solve increasingly complex puzzles.

It's obtuse, bizarre, baffling and strangely compelling. It is a game for people who like going "I wonder what happens if..." and I have a feeling there are at least a few people here who might dig it. Check it out... and give it time, it's a slow burn.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Re: Carpe Fulgur's new game is batshit insane

by Beige » Mon May 11, 2015 2:10 pm

What the... what.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

Re: Carpe Fulgur's new game is batshit insane

by Calin Kim » Mon May 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Angry Jedi wrote:It's obtuse, bizarre, baffling and strangely compelling. It is a game for people who like going "I wonder what happens if..." and I have a feeling there are at least a few people here who might dig it. Check it out... and give it time, it's a slow burn.

I am not one of these people, but I live hearing stories from these people. I hope you'll keep the thread updated because your post was enough to make me very curious.