Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

So Exanima (Sui Generis) looks pretty cool

by RedSwirl » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:34 am

For a while I've been following this indie isometric RPG called Sui Generis. The Kickstarter was successful way back and the developer, Bare Mettle, just started an open pay-in beta in the form of a Steam Early Access prologue game called Exanima. In it's current state it's supposed to actually be beyond Beta already.

In short, it's an isometric real-time RPG where all the systems are physics-based. Everything in the game looks like it's supposed to be systemic and dynamic, from the lighting to the animations to being able to barricade doors with random objects.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/362490/
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: So Exanima (Sui Generis) looks pretty cool

by Alex Connolly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Been following it as well, and picked it up as it hit EA. It's...kinda exactly what you expect. Much like Die By The Sword, the combat - until learned and effected with some understanding of inertia and weight - feels super wonky. But in a good way. A really interesting experience! Easy to say Souls fans will dig it, but the combat isn't an easy thing to parse. I'm still wrapping my head around it.

EDIT: Okay. I *get* the combat now. It's pretty damn ace. And I feel a lot of people will jump into Exanima and outright hate it. But if the idea of an isometric DbtS tickles fancy, then this is it. I'll bait the hook with a wad of Soulsian difficulty, and I feel I have far more patience for something like Exanima because the combat is so dynamic. Weapons rake along walls, sending torches crashing from their mounts - with accompanying real-time shadows - and enemies lunge and leap. I managed to barge into a strange undead during a duel, sending it tumbling backwards over a fallen beam.

That particular fight took Exanima from 'wonky' to 'wonderful'.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:18 pm

Whoa, this looks gonzo. Intrigued. I'll follow once I get home.

Bloodborne is over now, you can all relax. I'm not going to be spamming the boards with Yarnham stories anymore.

Probably going to start my one and only full playthrough of Broken Age tonight sometime, since Ep 2 has launched. Anybody else play it? I'm going into it completely blind.

Poor Tim. I feel like there's no way you can carry the weight of the community expectation with this one, even with $3m.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:21 pm

Oh, and in case anybody was curious: Super TIME Force (Ultraaaa) is pretty damn impressive. I've been killing time on Steam with it lately. I know, LTTP and all that. Still, man, those Capy guys, huh?
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

by Angry Jedi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Huh. That looks crazy. Physics-based stuff that isn't shit like Angry Birds makes me giddy. I've always wanted to see devs doing more with physics objects in combat, and this looks like it's doing a good job. Will keep an eye on it.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:29 pm

First impression made me think that Alone In The Dark 2008 misfire, because you go in expecting at least some subservience to established isometric ARPG conventions, and it *feels* so different right off the bat. But that awkwardness melts. Heavy, yet fluid.

And not at all like that busted Alone in the Dark game. Hits the mark.