Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

Re: Star Wars Games: Squadron of Shame, Standing By

by A.I Impaired » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Oh man. I believe I have played most Star Wars games made in the 90's. That was really my childhood: watching the trilogy for... I kid you not.... something like the 60th time (I stopped counting after 40) .... and plugging into the extended universe with games, comics, books, and an embarrassing number of action figures.

If I asked my younger self what the best Star Wars game was at that time I probably would have cited either Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II , Rebel Assault 2, or Shadows of the Empire which I waited eagerly for the now rare PC version release. X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter, also being an amazing experience at the local network gaming cafe, of which I remember defeating frustrated high school seniors.

Time has not been kind to these games. I still love them though, even if today I would cite some of Star Wars post 2000 games ... mainly KOTOR1/2, Jedi Knight 2, and Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader .... as the ones that stand up better over time.
Of course the post prequel era was a different one. Star Wars was no longer invincible, and fandom was tempered with caution. I think these games came out at a time where a lot of Star Wars fans were in transition, so the relationship was different. I know it was for me. They were like a fond memory of another life.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:16 pm

I know that Republic Commando got a squad mission and is thought of pretty highly around here. I should check that one out some time.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

by Angry Jedi » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:10 am

Republic Commando is a good time. (And this is Mr Doesn't Play Many Modern Shooters saying that.) It's the least Star Warsy Star Wars game you'll ever play, however, to the extent that someone (Tolkoto, I believe?) said that it might as well have just been called "Space Guys" and no-one would have been any the wiser.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:06 pm

I played the demo of Republic Commando and didn't really get it.

Also, every time Battlefront II is on sale on Steam I wonder about taking the plunge but still don't really get it's main appeal point. It's like Battlefield: Star Wars right? I probably wouldn't mess with multiplayer.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:42 pm

ITaking part in all of the iconic battles of Star Wars, with all of the Star Wars hardware is the appeal - much like Rogue Squadron. Moreover, the option to play as a footslogger as well as a hero is good stuff.

Bots are there, so cranky up the difficulty and have fun.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:52 pm

"Space Guys" is an apt description. I'd say Republic Commando succeeded more in its feel of leading a crack squad of highly trained troopers ("You, set up heavy weapons there! You, blow that door! You, hack that turret!") in a much larger battle, than it did in depicting Star Wars. The fact that they managed a bit of personality in a game about clone troopers, and that you bond a bit with them over the course of the game, says a lot.

The game itself is probably not aging too well, and I remember those laser rifles feeling weak as fuck, like laser tag guns, but we can't all be perfect.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:42 am

GOG needs to hurry up and grab Episode One Racer.

If you don't know, it's one of those rare licensed games you'd expect to be crap but is in fact legit. Probably one of the top racing games on the N64, maybe even of that whole era. It still probably has the fastest driving speeds of any racing game I've played, slightly outrunning F-Zero. I remember speccing out my pod just to see if I could push it to 2,000 mph (3,200 kph) on a straightaway.

They basically took that one scene the necessity of which in Episode One is under debate, and made a legit racing game out of it. You can find time trials on YouTube.They fleshed out all the dudes you saw in that scene and had a whole library of pod parts and whatnot. If you took enough damage you even had to repair your pod mid-race. Man I still remember Abyss and Grabvine Gateway.
Previous