Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Star Wars Games: Squadron of Shame, Standing By

by Alex Connolly » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Given the excitement of the recent teaser and a new Star Wars: Battlefront around the corner, it seemed only fitting to stoke the flames of discussion and kindle a blaze on the topic of Squad favourites in the Lucas universe. Let's see where it takes us. List away, the good, the bad, the ugly and the endearing.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

Re: Star Wars Games: Squadron of Shame, Standing By

by Angry Jedi » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:04 pm

I've kind of gone off Star Wars in the last few years -- largely due to its ever-present nature in modern popular culture and use as "geek shorthand" -- but I've enjoyed a bunch of Star Wars games over the years.

One that I was particularly fond of wasn't the best example of a Star Wars game, but I always enjoyed it, and that was Super Star Wars on the SNES. I never owned my own copy, but it's the game I borrowed from my friend Andrew at school more than any other.

Super Star Wars was, frankly, a fairly bog-standard movie tie-in platformer for the most part, though it ran well, looked good and broke up the action with some then-impressive Mode 7-based sequences. What really attracted me to it, though, and in retrospect the reason I enjoyed it so much, was the soundtrack.

The Super NES had a great soundchip when used effectively -- for my money, it was actually better than the horrible tinny synth Nintendo habitually used on its N64 titles in the following generation. Making use of wavetable synthesis when most PC sound cards were still struggling along with Adlib-compatible FM-synthesised music, the Super NES couldn't quite pull off the orchestral soundtracks we take for granted today, but it certainly had a good old go at it, with some very realistic instrument samples being used in Super Star Wars in particular. (Aside: The reason Link to the Past is my favourite Zelda game is also because of its music, or more accurately, one specific aspect of its music: it has the best cymbal clashes of the entire 16-bit generation.)

I was pretty rubbish at Super Star Wars so I don't think I ever beat it without cheating (cheats! Remember those? Remember when you didn't have to pay for them?) but I have fond memories of it nonetheless. I never played the follow-ups Super Empire Strikes Back and Super Return of the Jedi, but I recall really, really wanting to because of their more impressive showcase Mode 7 sequences. To date, I still haven't played them, and I feel the impact of these may be a little bit lost today, but still. One day I'll give them a shot.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Yeah, this also dovetails pretty nicely with that Humble Star Wars Bundle that was out a while back.

Rebel Assault is one of the first games that I remember absolutely obsessing over, and it's also the game I bought a flight stick for. It wasn't a fancy one, just a stick with a trigger and a couple of buttons on the base, but it was awesome to play a space shoot with it. I even did the asteroid field without getting hit once. (I swear.)

Let's talk about Kotor, though. How great was it to create your own Jedi? That first time you crafted your own lightsaber was magic.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:19 pm

Yeah, I mean this discussion has to head towards KOTOR doesn't it? KOTOR was a big watershed for a number of reasons that I feel we all understand, but just to be clear:

a) You could make an RPG in an action franchise, and it could be awesome
b) It was totally possible to capture Star Wars essence without Han, Luke or even any reference at all to the actual movies
c) Bioware style RPGs didn't have to be for PC anymore.

So much I could say about KOTOR and about how I wish that Lucas had played it before he went on to shit the bed all over the prequels.

You know what the big Star Wars game for me was though, of course. X-WING back in the day.

Remember, this is pre-prequel, pre-KOTOR, pre-Dark Forces. Just you and your childhood nostalgia locking S-foils in attack position.

Listening to radio chatter come over the airwaves as Red 5 was standing by was such a rush -- I'm not sure if it's possible to duplicate that feeling over anything except a straight PC sim. Six buttons on a controller is not going to do justice to the idea of frantically flailing around in your cockpit, holding down CTRL and shift and jamming Page Up or whatever to divert power to the main deflector on the aft side. Who can forget seeing the sheer SIZE of a Star Destroyer either? Flying over that bridge area in a drive by, cruising around to blast at those radar domes (of course they were radar domes) and marveling at the sheer scope as your wing struggled to take one down.

I loved the feeling of PAGE UPing your engines to full as you gunned your A-wing towards that encroaching wing of TIE bombers. I think it's necessary in these kind of large sims to have that 90 second period of just straight up doin' nothing as you watch your tiny little set of blips heads towards their tiny little set of blips slooooooowly and then... BAM all hell breaks loose. It's DEFCON, except you are the missle. The last line of defense between bombers and some escaping frigates stuffed with medical evacuees.

These games were smart, immersive. The very definition of PC gaming.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Rogue Squadron.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:08 pm

I never played Rogue Squadron, but I did play a hell of a lot of Dark Forces and its sequel. I remember getting so damn lost in that stupid sewer level.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:37 pm

I'll transplant Bowls' magnificent Star Wars: Rebellion post into here from the Space Games thread. Sums up my feelings well. On ya, Bowls!

Bowley wrote:Image

Star Wars: Rebellion, the deepest space strategy game, with the most tedious UI experience, that you never played is now on GoG.com.

Beneath a shitty looking exterior, even moreso now than when it was originally released, lies the heart of Empire Strikes back: The Strategy Game (and Return of the Jedi if you make it that far). Taking place after the destruction of the original Death Star, you play as either the newly confident, but still disparate Rebel Alliance, or the impossibly strong Galactic Empire, licking its wounds, but ready to marshal all of it's resources to stamp down Luke and co. forever.

As you take stock of your current situation, you will need to quickly consolidate what you have, grow your manufacturing infrastructure and defenses, and recruit a bevy of original trilogy (e.g. Lando, Boba Fett) and extended fiction characters (e.g. Thrawn) to form the backbone of your workforce. Who you send on a mission matters, and who you send to be decoys on that mission also matters. Characters need to be sent away on missions leading your fleets, researching new technologies in the arms race, keeping a system secure, secretly gathering intelligence, performing sabotage, abducting enemy personnel (assassination, if you're the Empire), inciting revolts or gaining popular support on one of a multitude of planets.

Every planet is a battleground. Support for your cause will sway depending on you and your enemy's actions. Defeat the opposing fleet and you will gain support. Wipe out an occupying force with no collateral damage and you'll gain even more. Everyone loves a winner. Diplomats are your key weapon here. If you lose too often, devote too few diplomats, or show too much brute force, could have you watching an entire system of planets domino into the enemy's hands. This includes too much overt use of the Death Star (yes) to obliterate entire planets. It turns out that nobody in the galaxy will love you for using that, but fear, FEAR will keep systems in line. Its mere presence is often enough, especially when you park it outside a wishy-washy planet. It's also a massive sitting duck that requires a lot of defense, so you better keep your eyes and ears open.

"He who knows when he can fight, and when he cannot, will be victorious." - Sun Tzu

The answer is intelligence. Information is key in Rebellion. Accurate intel will keep your precious Death Star alive. Up to date intel will allow you to put Boba Fett behind bars, or Lord Vader, or Mon Mothma, but you better bring a skilled team, and an army, and you better have the right INTEL. Careful sending Luke against Vader, just sayin'. You will succeed or fail on the amount you can gather and how fast you can refresh it. Always. Be. Espionaging. How will you know where the enemy fleet is, or where it's going, so you can maneuver your own fleet to defeat them? Intel. Anyone building a secret fortress in the outer rim? Intel. How will you know who the Empire has sent to counter your diplomacy on a crucial system, what they are trying to sabotage, or who they are attempting to assassinate? Intel. Where is that DAMN REBEL HQ, they never leave it on Yavin, where did they move it to?! Intel! It takes a long time to travel across the galaxy, you better be damned sure.

Unfortunately, this is where the game can induce carpal tunnel syndrome. "It dies the death of a thousand clicks", reviewed Gamespot back in the day. They were right, because you will be continually refreshing espionage missions and doing other tasks constantly. Did I mention Rebellion is real-time? You can slow things down tremendously to a very manageable pace and speed them back up as needed, but you still have to keep on top of things as they happen, and there is a lot to do.

Despite this huge problem, Star Wars: Rebellion is a surprisingly satisfying and deep game. The space battles may look like pure early 3D butt, and even a little incomprehensible to control, but I assure you there is a legitimate layer of strategy and tactics beyond that ugly veneer. When you intercept a powerful enemy fleet that has been harrying you for 100s of days, stop them from warping out to safety with your shiny new Interdictor class star destroyer, and smash them completely, it'll be worth it.

On top of that, the heart and soul of the original Star Wars trilogy is alive in this game. Luke will leave to train with Yoda, Han can be frozen in carbonite if Boba Fett gets him, sending Luke to the same vicinity as Vader can go wrong for you, especially if they haven't met yet. The planets are there, the characters are there (plus a few more), the events are there, the ships and battles are there, the sounds and the music of Star Wars is all there. Ok, well they kind of got sound-a-like actors for major characters, but they're good enough. You'll probably get annoyed at fake Anthony Daniels constantly telling you that operatives are "reporting in" or Han whining, "It wasn't my fault!" when he fails, but that's the worst of it.

So yeah, Star Wars: Rebellion. Your hand may hurt, the pieces are slow to move, but you will remember what you love about the Original Trilogy within this game. When 200 days worth of planning and espionage comes together and you pluck that fucking smug Palpatine off his throne amidst an army of stormtroopers and defenses, you will fucking love it. Conversely, watching the Rebel HQ burn is quite nice too, but I'll let you decide which way to go.

I also dare you to try multiplayer, it's known as a friendship destroyer.
no avatar
User

Elanzer

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 pm

United Kingdom

Favorite Genres

Grand strategy, Tactics, Role-playing, Shooters

by Elanzer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:54 am

KOTOR, KOTOR 2 even more so. Still can't forgive TOR for what it did with them, though.

Shadows of the Empire will always a special clunky place in my heart too, I still have nightmares about IG-88.
User

Raven2785

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:26 am

The caustic bucket that is New Jersey in the US

Favorite Genres

RPGs, Visual Novels, FPSs (Both single and multiplayer) Racing, and anything that might have a unique hook or story

Now Playing

Dust: an Elysian Tail, Saint's Row, Payday 2, Drakengard 3, NFS Shift

by Raven2785 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:04 am

I haven't really kept up with Star Wars games all that much, I've never been that big a fan of Star Wars to begin with. But I am with Red on the Rogue Squadron love, I loved it to death.

That and Republic Commando, Dear God, if there was ever a Star Wars game whose lack of a sequel borders on the criminal, it's Republic Commando.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:42 am

I dug a few oddballs, aside from the classics.

Yoda Stories

Everyone must have played this; the My First Roguelike of sorts, this and Indy Jones Desktop Adventures were great little time wasters. I'd love to see a redux or reboot of the concept for modern handhelds and tablets. Figured it'd be a good market for such a game.

Episode One: Racer

Just a damn solid racer. Good physics, distinct racers, great showcase for Star Wars locales.

Jedi Power Battles

Golden Axe with Jedi and a ton of Trade Federation droids, replete with some of the buggiest code this side of the iron curtain. Awesome two-player fun, when you weren't falling through levels, getting snagged on geometry and the like. One of the greatest PSone titles to play in local multiplayer.

Battle For Naboo

An interesting Rogue Squadron follow-up/spin off. I dug it due to a bigger emphasis on mechanised ground combat over the rolling terrain and water. One of Factor 5's lesser-knowns.

Star Wars: Renegade Squadron/Elite Squadron

They may look like utter garbage now, and to be frank, weren't show-stoppers when Rebellion delivered them unto the PSP, but they were great extensions of the Battlefront formula. Hugely chaotic online affairs, with customisable character loadouts, big maps, fan service and remarkably exploit-free. Elite wasn't quite as good as Renegade, but they were both time sponges that soaked up over a hundred hours a piece.

Shall think of further fond outings...
Next