Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: The state of Kojima

by Angry Jedi » Fri May 01, 2015 11:36 am

RedSwirl wrote:I just realized that I possibly could have still "purchased" P.T. in the browser store with my PSN account even though I don't own a PS4. If you got P.T. previously you can still redownload it.

I tried to do that before my PS4 arrived just in case it was removed earlier in the day (my PS4 arrived on the 29th -- my birthday, and the day P.T. was set to be removed) but couldn't find it on the browser-based store for some reason, despite searching for "PT", "P.T." and "Playable Teaser". Found it with no issues on the PS4 store itself, though. I haven't checked, but I assume it's gone now.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Fri May 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Kotaku comes at us with the aptly titled Konami Sucks: http://kotaku.com/konami-sucks-1702695162

This opinion came up on Polygon that P.T. will achieve urban legend status in 20 years: http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/7/8564283 ... f-all-time I can dig it. As a lover of all urban legends, it would be hilarious if this became the next Polybius.
User

Calin Kim

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

by Calin Kim » Fri May 08, 2015 7:19 pm

Since this is also functioning as a general purpose Fuck Konami thread (which I approve of to be sure), it seems like Igarashi is going to be making another Castlevania inspired thing.

http://swordorwhip.com/

You can also watch him play Symphony of the Night with a programmer at Doublefine. Awesome conversation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqheYYeA4k4
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Fri May 08, 2015 8:15 pm

Clan Iron Flail ftw.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Fri May 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Kojima's last magnum opus at Konami:

Urban Legend. Mythical. Often whispered about and discussed but impossible to substantiate in 10 years. Growing taller in reputation with time.

Snatcher 2015.

Could it be any more apropos?
User

Calin Kim

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

by Calin Kim » Fri May 08, 2015 8:55 pm

I got clan Rapier.

Y'all didn't think I would choose whip, did you?

It's an objective truth that the sword dudes are sexier than the whip dudes.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Sat May 16, 2015 11:13 pm

This isn't about just Konami but the direction of Japanese publishes in general: It's easy to understand how Japan has turned so heavily towards mobile after turning so heavily towards dedicated handhelds for a while -- It better suits their lifestyles. But one other factor I've started to realize is that the Japanese mobile game market is a little bit less shitty than the one we're experiencing, in multiple ways.

For starters, a higher proportion of players pay over there, and they seem to be willing to pay more. I've read from multiple sources that more mobile revenue comes from there than from the US, and that Japan is pretty much no. 1 in the world for mobile revenue. A new bit of information I've got is that the percentage of mobile gamers in Japan who pay is something like 5-10 times that of the US. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1047418) "Conversion rates" for F2P mobile games in Japan sits somewhere around 15-20% of players. That's not whales, but people who pay in general.

Also, whenever I look at previews of Japanese mobile games and their top charts, I see a lot less shovelware and a lot more games that at least look like they had a degree of care put into them.

Just look at Rampage Land Rankers for one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=91&v=KoXfpK9Rrgc

Maybe this game just looks sleeker than a Gameloft game because Tetsuya Nomura did the character designs, but it at least suggests Japan is putting its A-list people on mobile games instead of throwing out a bunch of trash and cloning it. That video doesn't look too dissimilar from what we were playing on the DS seven years ago. I'm looking at other stuff in magazine scans like Kingdom Hearts Unchained, Rise of Mana, and so-on. Some of them are games I'd consider giving a look if they got localized. They still look like gambling games sure, but they at least seem to have some production value put into them. Another theory is that only a fraction of international games get released in Japanese, which means less of the global shovelware choking up the Japanese iOS and Google Play stores.

This all could just be another sign of East Asia continuing to be ahead of the curve when it comes to the quality free-to-play games. On PC western F2P games are just recently getting around to where they were a few years ago.
Previous