Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...

Backloggery

User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Backloggery

by Angry Jedi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Can't remember if we've had a thread on this, so I'll post a new one anyway.

I know our own Calin is a member of this backlog-tracking site, but is anyone else?

I am, though I haven't finished putting my collection in yet. You can find me at http://www.backloggery.com/angryjedi if you want to add me and commiserate over my mountain of unfinished titles.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

Re: Backloggery

by asatiir » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:29 am

Just added you, I haven't updated my page in a while.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:01 am

I eventually stopped using the Backloggery, because I realized that logging and checking off games wasn't fulfilling for me. I'm striving to take a more "play what I feel like when I feel like it" approach to games.

But, it did motivate me back when the idea was to get through everything :)
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:41 pm

Calin Kim wrote:I eventually stopped using the Backloggery, because I realized that logging and checking off games wasn't fulfilling for me. I'm striving to take a more "play what I feel like when I feel like it" approach to games.

My position as well. I see my library as a liquor cabinet, and I'll take a sip of something here and there...or find myself waking at the bottom of a flight of stairs, ragged and haggard and bloody, but satisfied after a binge.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Alex Connolly wrote:
Calin Kim wrote:I eventually stopped using the Backloggery, because I realized that logging and checking off games wasn't fulfilling for me. I'm striving to take a more "play what I feel like when I feel like it" approach to games.

My position as well. I see my library as a liquor cabinet, and I'll take a sip of something here and there...or find myself waking at the bottom of a flight of stairs, ragged and haggard and bloody, but satisfied after a binge.

Aye, I know that feel. Certain nights call out for a specific flavor, like there was a perfectly sized hole that is fit by a certain experience. You get in a certain flow, turbo charged by the compliment of these beautiful elements. The binge is pure Jazz.

I mean, I do feel a radiating shame from my excessive backlog... but I know that forcing myself to do something my heart isn't in kinda kills it. I think what I really need to do rather than force myself to justify my purchases, is to think about those purchases a little more beforehand. Im quite guilty of impulse buys in the videogame field, but I think I gotta start thinking about the kinds of games I actually play... and not just what other people consider to be worth playing. My brain is an encyclopedia of high profile games, and I convince myself I would buy them all at a bargain price. Don't get me wrong... I do like being surprised now and again by something out of my wheelhouse. I do need that to keep things interesting. I guess though at the moment, I gamble on so many games that just don't motivate me. I probably finish 35% of games I own. Its a bit embarrassing.

The games I know I will play are typically Western/CRPG's, Action/RPG's, or cooperative multiplayer games. Throw in the occasional third person action/adventure, puzzle/adventure game, and Counterstrike/Unreal Tournament. Thats my recipe. Thats what I gravitate back to inevitably. That said, I have had countless one off experiences with games outside this recipe that are just so awesome, but are not replicated and amalgamated. Of course I am always more open minded with multiplayer games among friends. Its not easy to organize among adults, but yeah... worth it.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 pm

The rise of Steam and GoG has essentially ensured that I will never complete every game I own. The prevalence of bundles is just the nail in the coffin for that idea, because I am actually pretty sure I own stuff that I don't even know about.

And, well, sometimes I feel like I've gotten enough out of a game after only playing it for four or five hours. I may not have "completed" it, but I got what I wanted out of it.

Sometimes I don't feel that way until I've played it for 100 hours, completed all of the sidequests, upgraded all of my weapons, and done all sorts of byzantine nonsense (looking at you Final Fantasy X).

I have a healthy list of "games I want to play" that is only going to keep growing. Might as well play what I want when I want with the time I do have.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:35 pm

We've discussed this prior and elsewhere, but I tend to play a lot of games as accompaniments to other media. If I'm watching Black Sails, I'll play some Port Royale. If I'm enjoying a book on the history of railroads, there's a plethora of games related to that.

With Calin in feeling more and more that a game doesn't need to be completed for it to have served its purpose.

And it can always be returned to if the calling or need is there.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:27 am

I lost that password long ago. Today I pretty much just look at my Steam library. Steam library, backlog, same thing. My console backlog isn't nearly as big.

Though, for some reason I can't finish handheld RPGs worth a damn. I clipped straight through Golden Sun 1 and 2 back in the day when they came out -- basically the games that started the trend of handheld JRPGs... and then kept buying more but couldn't finish any. I finished Final Fantasy IV Advance a couple years ago but that's it. This problem has spread across three handheld systems: GBA, DS, and PSP. I decided to stem the tide with the 3DS and simply decided to stop buying more of them. I rushed through Fire Emblem Awakening, only bought Shin Megami Tensei IV to capitalize on a sale, and just have Pokemon X sitting there unfinished. It's starting to happen again on my iPhone though. My "Games" folder is like six pages deep and includes Final Fantasy Tactics (like the fourth copy I've bought), Dragon Quest V, Undercroft, a port of Elite 1, WarHammer Quest, Ace Attorney (not an RPG but significant), that Steven Universe game, and Legend of Grimrock. A combination of rock-bottom prices and leftover gift card money.

On top of all that you guys already know I plan on going through the backlog on a genre-to-genre basis.

Right now though I'm just trying to get through most of what I got during the holiday sales. I still have not started GTA V. At all.