Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Re: The Essential Dinosaurs In Gaming Discussion Thread

by Beige » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:12 pm

How can I have 30 years of gaming experience and not tons of dinosaur stories? It mystery. Ransacking my brain here to try and come up with more than just "that T-Rex in Tomb Raider".

Chrono Trigger had an entire Flintstones-era 10 million BC age including the prerequisite cavemen and T-Rex boss battle. Could be the only instance of a Cavewoman in the party that I can think of in video gaming. I also remember (on the cave-trip) listening to Depeche Mode as a 14 year old and playing Joe and Mac: Caveman Ninas (??!) late into the night on my friend's SNES. I remember some kind of super strange final boss fight there where you went inside a giant dinosaur's insides and attacked their beating heart with clubs while pitchfork devils attacked you from all sides. Now that I think about it, that "go into the beast, destroy heart" endgame describes about 50% of games I finished during that time period.

Outside of that... uh.... yeah. Tomb Raider? Never played Turok.

As I said, most of Monster Hunter's beasts are essentially the image of what kids imagine in their head when you mention dinosaurs made flesh. Deviljho is for all intents and purposes the ultimate Ur-T-Rex archetype of "two legs and teeth", Jaggies, Wroggies and Baggis, Velocidromes and the entire bird wyvern tree are just raptors of various sizes and shapes. My patron spirit animal the Barroth is just an allosaurus with a sort of beehive thing on its forehead who likes to sleep heavily, roll around in the mud like a wet dog and charge things wantonly for no reason.

Now that you mention it, there seems to be a dearth of dinosaurs in gaming in any practical sense. I would 100% play the Monster Rancher RPG where you raise dinos inside a park for fun and profit. Sad to see things like the Stomping Land not make their way through to awesomeness. In retrospect this is quite a glaring hole, isn't it? How come I can't play more games AS a dinosaur?

Aside: The Dinosaur-RPG that never was makes me want to start a new thread for just awesome game ideas that should be made but haven't yet been.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:19 pm

I have a soft spot for the PSX Lost World game, particularly the semi-redux Special Edition. Sure, overanimated to the point of hampering control, but playing as a raft of dinosaurs there was unique in the platformer sphere. Dinosaurs felt like they had weight.

It was an appalling platformer during the human levels, and an merely serviceable one when you played as the dinosaurs. Had some nice concepts and fully deserving of a spiritual successor.
User

Grant Heaslip

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

by Grant Heaslip » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Does Star Fox Adventures (developed as Dinosaur Planet) count as a dinosaur game? I haven't played it since probably 2003, but I remember it fondly. It had some mediocre parts, the Star Fox stuff was tacked-on in a comically ham-fisted way, and it had some classic bad Rare character designs, but the game had some great atmosphere and was a serviceable 3D Zelda-like in its own way.

It also has some really good David Wise music:

Bowley wrote:
Angry Jedi wrote:Fun fact: one of my earliest paid writing gigs was writing a full walkthrough for Turok 2 for the Official Nintendo Magazine here in the UK. I ploughed through that game -- which, as has been previously noted, was fucking difficult -- and submitted my copy, then had to play through the whole damn thing again at the mag offices to take screenshots... and then the pre-release version had a bug just before the last boss which froze it up and wiped my save, so I had to play through the whole damn thing again on a retail version just to get screenshots of the last boss.

Consequently, I'm in no hurry to ever play that game ever again. It was pretty cool, though; I recall it had some great music, a batshit nonsensical plot and, of course, the Cerebral Bore.

That's the stuff of nightmares.

I can't imagine doing that, I just watched a youtube clip of the game, and I realized I left something important out of the post above; the game's small FOV was intensely nauseating to me.

A lot of old-school games writers’ anecdotes about review deadlines sound like nightmares. Jeff Gerstmann has mentioned a few times on the Bombcast that he reviewed Ocarina of Time over a single delirious weekend and had to drag himself to bookstore to buy an early-released guide when he got stuck on the “shoot an arrow into the sun” business.

Greg and CJ (ex-EGM) on the Player One Podcast have talked about how mid-90s Nintendo were so paranoid they’d only let reviewers play pre-release copies with an NoA employee supervising them, to the point where they wouldn't let them be alone in the room with the locked-down console when they went to the washroom. I believe Greg said that he reviewed Rogue Squadron II overnight when a NoA rep showed up with a preview copy and mentioned that it was technically reviewable. Christ.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:27 pm

Speaking of nightmares...

Thanks Virtual Bart. Luckily, the Genesis/Megadrive had three especially good JP games to make up for such a travesty. But hey, at least it wasn't Pig Bart.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

by A.I Impaired » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:03 am

My favourite part of all history would have to be.... Nazi dinosaurs.

Dino D-Day, a game that time forgot. Its where you think you you are playing a normal match of Call of Duty or Day of Defeat then....
RRRAARGH! OH MY GOD WHY! AAAAAGH! *Raptor Attacks*

Naturally the scaled terrors need gun turrets strapped to them as well. WW2 was hell.

In all seriosness though, the main draw here was OMFG DINOSAURS.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:50 pm

I have a copy of Dino D-Day on Steam, but I've never booted it up.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:59 pm

A thought tethered to predilection, but I'm very much looking forward to Lego Jurassic Park. Haven't played a Lego game since the original Star Wars efforts, so the concept is still markedly fresh. Hope it's a bottler.
Previous