Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...

Happy new year!

User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

Happy new year!

by Angry Jedi » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:55 am

Happy new year, y'all.

What are your gaming resolutions and hopes for gaming in 2015?
no avatar
User

Teryn

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am

Re: Happy new year!

by Teryn » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:18 pm

I'm hoping that more people will advocate for DRM-free games, not only for ease of use and backing up, but for preserving games' legacy in the future. I hope Linux gaming and Linux itself continues to be a good place for old Mac and Windows users to find comfort and freedom.

Resolutions? Not sure on that one, since I've given up on the idea of a New Year's Resolution(TM) being a good way of changing your behaviour. It's more or less a big guilt trip on yourself to change faster than you're comfortable with or make yourself do something you know is good for you but despise.

In the spirit of goals for yourself, I can agree with that much, so: I'm going to keep advocating for less censorship and more creative freedom in games, because censorship is a slippery slope from what is "safer" and "less offensive" to "a game that offends no one in any way" (an impossibility).

I also hope all you Squaddies enjoy what you've gotten this past year, and appreciate what we will receive in the next. Let's also treat each other well this year. :)
User

Grant Heaslip

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Happy new year!

by Grant Heaslip » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:50 am

I agree that resolutions are generally a fool’s errand, but I do want to keep trying to play games off the beaten trail with enthusiastic fanbases. Some of my unexpected favourite games of the past little while have been games a lot of the mainstream games press and enthusiasts have written off as black marks, obviously terrible, or “gross” (Project Diva f, Peace Walker, Killer is Dead, Final Fantasy XIII, to name a few). I’m going to be trying Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 in the near future, and I think I’m sold on giving Senran Kagura a shake at some point.

In a blog about games I’m looking forward to in 2015, I wrote a bit about the impending shitstorm that’s guaranteed to surround the release of MGS V:

We know that The Phantom Pain is going to get extremely dark. We know that it’s going to feature graphic depictions of torture and sexual assault. We also know that it’s going to have a lady running around a battlefield in glorified lingerie, a melty-faced mystic-looking old guy named Code Talker, and an even meltier-faced dude with a fedora named Skull Face. In other words, The Phantom Pain is a Metal Gear game. It’s going to be a bizarre, incongruous, yet undeniably unique (and for many people compelling) mix of self-serious socio-political commentary and goofy “anime” nonsense. Parts of it will fall flat for some, and they’ll be justified in thinking that. The usual suspects will tell us that Kojima is a sexist/racist/*ist monster for making a piece of fiction that didn’t agree with their worldview, and that Metal Gear fans are monsters not feeling sufficiently bad about it. I’ll try to do my best to avoid the inevitable shitshow surrounding the release and enjoy it for what it is.

I don’t want to come off as if I don’t think any of these conversations are worth having, but the triteness, predictability, and sophomoric nature of so much of the moral hand-wringing surrounding “problematic” (almost exclusively out of Japan) fictional stories and characters has reached a point at which I’ve just thrown up my hands and stopped caring. It’s not worth trying to argue with someone who thinks they’re fighting a moral crusade. I’m sure I’ll still end up getting mad about some of this stuff, but keeping away would be a great resolution.

(Sorry, kind of a tangent for this thread. Happy new year and all that!)