Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

Re: Squadron of Shame 2014 Games of the Year Thread

by Calin Kim » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:01 pm

I got Wolfenstein on the Steam sale as well, but I don't have enough space on my SSD to install it... I have too many other games installed...

Oh, and it's like 54 gigs...
no avatar
User

Elanzer

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 pm

United Kingdom

Favorite Genres

Grand strategy, Tactics, Role-playing, Shooters

by Elanzer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:41 pm

You could do what I did - Install the bulk of the game on your regular storage drive as usual, then go to %localappdata% on your Windows/SSD drive and create a folder named "MachineGames" and within that another folder named "Wolfenstein The New Order". In short it'll allow the game to store and load the fairly demanding idTech5 texture cache there between sessions, resulting in texture loading and streaming performance practically indistinguishable from running off the SSD entirely while consuming about 5% of the space. If you're using a different drive configuration there's also a launch command to set a custom directory for the cache, I don't have it on hand but you'll probably find it easy enough online. You'll also have to make a note to delete the directory and cache file manually as it won't be uninstalled with the rest of the game.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Elanzer wrote:You could do what I did - Install the bulk of the game on your regular storage drive as usual, then go to %localappdata% on your Windows/SSD drive and create a folder named "MachineGames" and within that another folder named "Wolfenstein The New Order". In short it'll allow the game to store and load the fairly demanding idTech5 texture cache there between sessions, resulting in texture loading and streaming performance practically indistinguishable from running off the SSD entirely while consuming about 5% of the space. If you're using a different drive configuration there's also a launch command to set a custom directory for the cache, I don't have it on hand but you'll probably find it easy enough online. You'll also have to make a note to delete the directory and cache file manually as it won't be uninstalled with the rest of the game.

I think I should probably just play through the stuff I already have installed and then delete it. Honestly, having only 250 gigs on the SSD is kind of my computer's way of saying "play some of the stuff you have installed that you played for 5 minutes what's wrong with you?"
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:49 pm

Calin Kim wrote:
Elanzer wrote:You could do what I did - Install the bulk of the game on your regular storage drive as usual, then go to %localappdata% on your Windows/SSD drive and create a folder named "MachineGames" and within that another folder named "Wolfenstein The New Order". In short it'll allow the game to store and load the fairly demanding idTech5 texture cache there between sessions, resulting in texture loading and streaming performance practically indistinguishable from running off the SSD entirely while consuming about 5% of the space. If you're using a different drive configuration there's also a launch command to set a custom directory for the cache, I don't have it on hand but you'll probably find it easy enough online. You'll also have to make a note to delete the directory and cache file manually as it won't be uninstalled with the rest of the game.

I think I should probably just play through the stuff I already have installed and then delete it. Honestly, having only 250 gigs on the SSD is kind of my computer's way of saying "play some of the stuff you have installed that you played for 5 minutes what's wrong with you?"

Wow. I was able to squeeze Wolfenstein onto a 128GB SSD. I had to mess around with some Windows preferences to do it though. You should probably move the page file over to another hard drive if you have one. Don't try to shrink it because Wolfenstein will crash on you if your page file less than 2GB.
Previous