Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Squadron of Shame 2014 Games of the Year Thread

by Alex Connolly » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:47 pm

No red carpet. No Ryan Seacrest. No E! News. Just the quiet ruminations of folk; positing their picks and memories in the maelstrom as 2014 comes to a close. Whether broken into categories or a shortlist in no particular order, your posts are yours to own and ours to read. Recount the year that was. The highlights, the piffle, the coulda-woulda-shouldas. Console, PC, handheld, stick and a hoop; whatever platform, whatever game.

Bring it home, friends. Bring it home.
User

A.I Impaired

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Ottawa, ON

Favorite Genres

Computer RPG's

Now Playing

Doom, Overwatch, Dark Souls

Re: Squadron of Shame 2014 Games of the Year Thread

by A.I Impaired » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Dragon Age: Inquisition has been the most memorable experience I have had this year, and I am still not done playing it after 58 hours. Not to say that the long playtime is even the draw here, but that it still manages to never bore me is itself an accomplishment. I would say it takes the gigantic galactic scope of Mass Effect and brings it down to a fantasy setting rooted in its lore and at the cusp of world changing events... which you become the instrument of. You lead a political and military force across two countries, rooting out corruption and uniting diverse groups against a threat. Seems familiar for Mass Effect fans, but I tell you that having the scope of a galaxy condensed into a partial section of a continent makes for a most delicate and wonderful level of detail. On top of that, the story and characters represent Bioware at some of its best. It also looks and plays spectacularly to boot.

Runners up:
Divinity:Original Sin and Dark Souls II
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

by Beige » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:42 pm

I'll pop in here later in the week once I've had time to go home and click Steam->recent. Chronological account of everything I played in 2014 at my fingertips, minus about 4 console titles and portable stuff.

Have some, shall we say, nontraditional choices for GOTY.
no avatar
User

sinfony

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:28 am

by sinfony » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:10 am

Destiny.
User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

by RedSwirl » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:31 am

*sigh*

I might come back to this later. Not much to say though.

2014 was... *sigh*
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:11 am

Really? Maybe I'm just easy to please, but like most years, there's always so much goodness out there. It's been quite a decent twelve months.

Looking forward to recounting the gems.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:46 pm

Only new releases I can think of that I played this year were: Dark Souls 2, The Fall, Valiant Hearts, and Wasteland 2.

So...
"Déjà vu, but I still love you" award goes to Dark Souls 2.
"Mariana trench" award, for surprisingly deep Kickstarter game, goes to Wasteland 2. See also the "Totally NOT Fallout, Fallout game" award.
"Swamps of sadness" award, for nearly losing me in the middle, goes to The Fall.
"Hoopy frood" award for the game with the biggest heart of gold (that really knows where its towel is), goes to Valiant Hearts: The Great War.
User

Calin Kim

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:44 pm

Favorite Genres

RPG, Weird, Thinky

Now Playing

Dark Souls, Jagged Alliance 2, Uncharted 3

by Calin Kim » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Bowley wrote:Only new releases I can think of that I played this year were: Dark Souls 2, The Fall, Valiant Hearts, and Wasteland 2.

So...
"Déjà vu, but I still love you" award goes to Dark Souls 2.
"Mariana trench" award, for surprisingly deep Kickstarter game, goes to Wasteland 2. See also the "Totally NOT Fallout, Fallout game" award.
"Swamps of sadness" award, for nearly losing me in the middle, goes to The Fall.
"Hoopy frood" award for the game with the biggest heart of gold (that really knows where its towel is), goes to Valiant Hearts: The Great War.

I'm sure you know this Bowley, but Brian Fargo (creator of Wasteland) worked on Fallout and Fallout 2.

Also that Wasteland came out in 1988...
User

Grant Heaslip

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

by Grant Heaslip » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:43 pm

I'm still ruminating on my list and trying to give a few 2014 stragglers a shot, but I'll check back in with my top 5 writeup when I finish it.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Calin Kim wrote:I'm sure you know this Bowley, but Brian Fargo (creator of Wasteland) worked on Fallout and Fallout 2.

Also that Wasteland came out in 1988...

I knew Wasteland was the inspiration for Fallout, but did not know that Fargo had worked on either of the subsequent games.
Next