Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...

Deadnaut

User

RedSwirl

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Favorite Genres

Man I don't know.

Now Playing

Fallout 4

Deadnaut

by RedSwirl » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:12 am

http://deadnaut.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/337040/

Man I don't even know. Games like this are what make PC gaming so obtuse to general audience in the first place.

It's a tactical RTS... thing where you can only command characters passively. You don't ever actually see any detailed world either. You look at everything through a tiny-ass window like you're watching an away team from a German U-boat or something, and it's all x-ran scans and icons. Everything interesting is described through codices with words and nothing else. Lastly and most importantly, that little window is surrounded on two sides by one of the densest interfaces I've ever seen with lore, character biographies, character abilities, equipment, stores, information on threats, logs, maps, and a lot of other shit I don't know how to use yet.

...It's space Jagged Alliance. Whatever that means.

I tried out the demo (at the official website link) a couple times and did hilariously badly. I think one of the other squad members more versed in similar games (I don't know of any) might do better.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

Re: Deadnaut

by Alex Connolly » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:58 am

Yeah, been enjoying older builds for a while, and glad the bastard is now out in the open. Ten bucks is a steal. Kinda hard to describe what it's like playing...as Red said, it's very passive, but has bucketloads more atmosphere simply through the super-utilitarian retrofuturist interface. Lots of dials, lots of management, lots of acronyms. It's a dream game.

Think...ALIENS via SAM Simulator?

So very cool. Paging Bowlisimo and anyone else interested in fresh strategy experiences.
no avatar
User

Elanzer

Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 pm

United Kingdom

Favorite Genres

Grand strategy, Tactics, Role-playing, Shooters

by Elanzer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:00 am

Just chipping in to say thanks for bringing this to my attention and I'm enjoying it.

In all honesty I was a little disappointed by it being a lot shorter, shallower, and iffy on certain design decisions than advertised, but eh, for that asking price? I can't say I'm salty about it in the slightest.

Except headtracking. Why didn't this interface support headtracking? It would have been perfect for it. Someone has to get on modding that in.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:13 am

It is certainly a game that appears far more grognardy than it actually is, but I cannot for the life of me pick a finer game in 2014 for sheer dedication to aesthetic and fluff.

I loved it, and for a mission here and there before bed - because you don't want binge it - Deadnaut took out my GOTY. Brilliant game from a tiny Oz duo.

EDIT: As Elanzer said, it desperately needs IRtracking or even a swipe option for touch interfaces - playing on my Asus Transformer. Otherwise, peerless.