Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Favorite Genres

Arthouse, conceptually audacious, thinky, polarizing, masocore

Now Playing

Witcher 3, Axiom Verge, Monster Hunter 4 (STILL), Invisible Inc.

Someone plz suggest an intriguing Sim or Building game.

by Beige » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Lynette and I ran into a wall last week (ironically in the middle of the Steam Sale) trying to find a game that would scratch a specific itch. After hours of searching, no joke, we came up blank with only the super strange French tower defense game Shad'o to provide some temporary relief. Time to crowdsource.

Anyway, here are the terms:
- We want something chill and abnegatey - not too frantic - for relaxing times in the evening. - Preferably Management-ey with something of a crafting or building aspect.
- ... with an interesting theme. No air traffic route simulators please. No Train Simulator.
- Something with a narrative angle or characters would be swell, but I don't know... sims and narrative often are in direct competition. Anno 2070 was a good balance.
- We thought about Tropico 5... but.... eh. Too soon after completing the entire Tropico 4 campaign.
- Why does Sim City have to suck? We want to manage something and play with it as it grows and develops.
- Managing items or shops? Or cities? We looked at Majesty - may come back to it as the lead contender but something about the absolutely bog standard High Fantasy World (tm) with Elves and Dragons irritates me right now.
- If Racetear was a genre instead of a single crazy outside case, that's exactly what we are looking for.

We came very close to buying Farm for your Life - which seems to be a pastiche of Farmville, Fruit Ninja, Running a Cafe and Dating Sim? With zombies?

I will blog and post updates on the experience if we get a good one.

Alex, we look to you for these sorts of things. Emergency 2014 was a slam dunk in this wheelhouse last time. What else you got?
User

Tolkoto

Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:16 am

Ohio

Favorite Genres

Platformers, RPG, action, adventure.

Re: Someone plz suggest an intriguing Sim or Building game.

by Tolkoto » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:18 pm

I actually came in here to suggest Anno 2070, but it looks like you two have experienced the joys of that one already.

I don't really have any other suggestions. I did get Banished during the Steam sale, but I only tried it once, got confused, then had to run before I could figure out what was going on.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Beige » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Never did understand the disproportionate critical love for Banished.

Played it, found it decent but forgettable. Unlocking all buildings right at the start and having an open ended sandbox as your goal makes the very goals-and-results oriented Beige question what the point is of playing. To simply have fun and enjoy playing? Pffffsht.
User

asatiir

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:15 am

Dubai, UAE

Favorite Genres

SRPG, turnbased strategy, Point and Click Adventures

Now Playing

Fallout 4, Destiny, Binding of Isaac

by asatiir » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Civ5 usually scratch that itch for me, I remember seeing the complete version being half price on Amazon. I tried tinkering with Civ Rev 2 on iOS for a while, it's not complete or as expansive as Civ 5 but I kind of like it.

edit: May not be what you're looking for, but has SOME base building, XCOM both PC and mobile is awesome.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:40 pm

There are some fascinating lunar and martian colony builders on the horizon, but I'm hesitant to recommend any form of alpha at this point. Keep an eye on Colonisation Moonbase, though. Been fiddling about with an early build there, and it's good gear, but too premature to say 'jump in!'.

Any interest in space program sims? Not ruddy Kerbal Space Program, but things like the remake of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager or Race to Mars?
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Beige » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Wait, Space Program sim is a thing? This is great! I was actually looking at Take on Mars a while back, thinking that this could be exactly in my wheelhouse. Anno with rockets could be the best thing ever. Manage awesome little ant farm, send up Saturn V, go to Mars.

I see the dreaded Early Access stink is on these things however. Are they functionally complete? It was heartbreaking to download Kerbal and realize what an awesome game was in there only to realize that after I built my rocket and sent it into space there was nothing to do and nowhere to go.

For me, simply 'seeing if it takes off' is not enough of a reason to stay. Ironically, they could simply have had a 20 second FMV that plays when you get to Jupiter or something and I'd have been completely satisfied. My extreme goal orientation surprises even me on occasion. I love missions in Sim City or Anno, but can't stomach sandbox mode for even half an hour.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:13 pm

The Curiosity landing triggered a decent spike in hard science space exploration and colony sims.

Colonisation Moonbase is looking very positive. Lots of uber-granular colonial systems and modifiers in place, including regional recruitment, R&D markets, plus the kind of personnel management you'd expect.

Buzz needs a mad overhaul of its UI in my opinion, plus a little in the way of character. No enemy of edutainment, but it has the staid, fibreless gait of middle-ground ambience.

Heard good things on Race to Mars, and it certainly has the most attractive visual package about it. Might pick it up soon.

Take On Mars is awesome, but only if you're a crawler wonk at this stage. Human colonist module doesn't have quite enough meat on the bone just yet, and it needs a touch more mission sophistication. But yeah, check it out. See what you reckon.
User

Beige

Rank

Site Admin

Favorite Genres

Now Playing

by Beige » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:25 pm

Alex, ever heard anything about Maia? Also looks undercooked at the moment but immediately got my attention when I heard about it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252250/

Also, SpaceBase DF-9. When that is complete I will be snapping it up like candy corn.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

428: Shibuya Scramble, Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Definitive Edition

by Angry Jedi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:09 am

Beige wrote:Alex, ever heard anything about Maia? Also looks undercooked at the moment but immediately got my attention when I heard about it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252250/

Also, SpaceBase DF-9. When that is complete I will be snapping it up like candy corn.

Maia is massively undercooked at the moment but there's a lot of potential there. I'd wait for it to be finished before jumping aboard, though.
User

Alex Connolly

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

by Alex Connolly » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:20 am

Was waiting for Pete's opinion.

Spacebase DF-9 is pretty damn cool, but these games require a slew of interconnected systems/modules. And DF-9 needs the additional content.

Keep an eye on Astrobase Command, too. It has the right idea with its multi-levelled approach to building an orbital facility: http://astrobasecommand.com/
Next