Talk about anything and everything Squad-related here -- what you've been playing, what you're looking forward to, and how big your Pile of Shame has grown after that last Steam sale...
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

Re: Someone plz suggest an intriguing Sim or Building game.

by Angry Jedi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Take a look at Arcen Games' output. Quirky, unconventional and, at times, unpolished, but they're little gems in the rough.

A Valley Without Wind 2 is a particularly interesting title, combining a turn-based strategy game with platforming combat, magic spells and character progression. I'm a big fan.

More recently released, The Last Federation is a 4X game in which you don't build your own empire, you instead interfere with several other empires in an attempt to eventually unite them all under your own banner. Oh, and you're a Hydra. And there's turn-based bullet hell combat. It's as strange as it sounds -- and I'll note here that I haven't played it myself yet -- but it sounds like a blast.
User

Bowley

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Now Playing

Games everyone played 5 years ago.

by Bowley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Sounds like it's time for you to try Dwarf Fortress.

I never quite cracked into it, but the ~10 hours I put in were really ridiculous and cool. The world/mythology/history generator is insane alone.
User

Angry Jedi

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Real Name

Pete Davison

Favorite Genres

JRPGs, visual novels, adventures

Now Playing

Sword Art Online: Re:Hollow Fragment, The Fruit of Grisaia, Hyperdimension Neptunia U, Final Fantasy XIV

by Angry Jedi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:34 pm

Bowley wrote:Sounds like it's time for you to try Dwarf Fortress.

I never quite cracked into it, but the ~10 hours I put in were really ridiculous and cool. The world/mythology/history generator is insane alone.

Dwarf Fortress is surely ripe for full-on Squad Mission treatment at some point. I'd be down with it.
User

Alex Connolly

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:40 pm

Kagoshima, JPN

Favorite Genres

Early Access Curios

Now Playing

Helldivers perennially, knicknacks, paddywacks, dog bones.

by Alex Connolly » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:48 pm

I don't know if I could turn the engine over for Dwarf Fortress at this stage, regardless of how many graphical front-ends they can rope over the ASCII art. Very much the EVE Online of city-builder/dungeon management games - great stories, much prefer to keep it at an observational AAR level.
Previous